Collecting leaves for composting…

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting leaves for composting…

Has anyone started collecting leaves yet?
    I have three main compost bins…well rotted ; in the process of rotting ; and fresh.
    Plus a wire cage for leaves.
    This year I’m determined to collect more to compost down. It’s free. So why let it go to waste?

I’ve previously put them in black bin bags with holes in the bottom but I’m trying to become less plastic dependant.

So- what techniques do you use?
    How many ‘bags/ containers’ do you fill
    Lets share ideas - and save money in the process!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I've not made a start yet but will be this weekend, there's a decent amount gathering. Mine go into old compost/rubble bags they seem to break down faster in bags than in the cages I previously used.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have no shedding leaves in my garden to sweep up, so last year I collected a big bag of leaves from where they had collected thickly in the road gutter from the acers, lime and silver birch in our cul-de-sac. I have nowhere to put a leaf "cage" to hold them, so the bag (a woven sack) was tied and left under my hedge. It had sunk down to a quarter of its size, so emptied it this week and got half a bucket of beautiful leaf mould. Then went out with a shovel and refilled the bag.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

I've just made a start and filled the first 2 bags today with leaves from the pavement, and aim to have 10 bags eventually. Last year I used a few of my old council garden waste bags that had started to fall apart, and a few empty compost bags with holes cut in them. Main issue was to keep them safe from our suburban foxes , they just love jumping in them, dragging them around and emptying them out on the lawn.
        This year I invested in a load of woven jute bags, and intend to keep them in corners in the garden and allotment. Ideally I'd be able to consolidate in a years time and reuse a few of the bags next year, but I suspect they will also have started to rot down by then.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X