Recommended Varieties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Varieties

I've kept the topic title vague as I thought it might be nice to have a place where others can add other recommendations for varieties of different stuff. I'm sure I'm not the only one planning already for next year

Having failed 2 years running to grow Cucumber 'Marketmore' with any success outdoors, I'm inclined to try a mini-cucumber next year (smaller fruit = quicker to harvest?). Can anyone recommend a prolific variety suited to outdoor growing?

A few recommendations from me:
    • Two well-known & widely grown varieties, for good reason:
      • Broad Bean 'Aquadulce Claudia' were the best broadies we've ever managed to grow this year.
      • 2nd early spud 'Charlotte' - I've yet to find a better alternative for yield, taste & keep-ability both in the ground & in the kitchen after lifting.
    • Mangetout 'Carouby de Maussane' produced a great yield, sweet & not stringy even when starting to pod-up. They were pretty plants too, being tall growing with purple flowers, fellow plotters on the site assumed we were growing Sweetpeas.

It’s great to see everyone gearing up for next year’s gardening season! If you’re looking for a prolific mini-cucumber for outdoor growing, I highly recommend Cucumber 'Sweet Slice'. This variety produces crisp, sweet mini cucumbers and is known for its productivity, making it a fantastic choice for smaller spaces.

In addition to your recommendations, here are a few other varieties that have performed well for me and others in outdoor gardens:
    1. Tomato 'Sungold'
    2. Zucchini 'Costata Romanesco'
    3. Pea 'Sugar Snap'
    4. Radish 'French Breakfast'

Let’s keep sharing our experiences and recommendations to help each other cultivate successful gardens next year!

Comment

Thanks nvidura - I'll definitely check out 'Sweet Slice'

Comment

I've been looking for a mini cucumber to replace the excellent and highly prolific Cucino, which appears to have been a casualty of Brexit. The nearest I have managed so far is Mini Munch, which grows well outside, is (mostly) all female and fairly prolific. Similar varieties are Mini Muncher (which I have not tried yet), Mini Sprint, and La Diva (which I find is not as good) - all will grow outside. I have not come across Sweet Slice and I'm not sure it is available in the UK.

Varieties I go back to year after year having tried others and found them less good are:
        Bean Monte Gusto (yellow climbing French) - good for saving seed as well as eating fresh
        Beetroot Boldor (golden)
        Broccoli (PSB) Rioja
        Carrot Sweet Candle and Eskimo
        Leek Oarsman
        Melon Emir
        Parsnip Hollow Crown
        Pea Meteor and Hurst Greenshaft
        Potato Lady Christl and Desiree
        Spinach Amazon
        Tomato Shirley and Sungold (Honeycomb looks promising too)
        Turnip Oasis

Also a shout out for a new variety of strawberry - Mara De Bois. This is a day neutral variety that fruits on and off all summer, it has a similar flavour to alpine strawberries but has nice large fruit. I only discovered it this year, but it is seriously gorgeous.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

good news Penellype - hopefully posting won't cause a stampede that depletes the stock before I'm ready to place an order but Victoriana have cucino!

Comment

Yes, I had a look for Sweet Slice. Only available in the States by the look of it.

Comment

I grow Beth Alpha cucumbers, they're a burpless cuc that you pick at around 6 inches long. Very tasty.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Andraste View Post
                good news Penellype - hopefully posting won't cause a stampede that depletes the stock before I'm ready to place an order but Victoriana have cucino!
                Thanks Andraste, I have ordered some
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X