No announcement yet.

Purple Carrots!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should have sowing and planting out advice on the back of the seed packet.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Yeah, it says April. But I have been putting some seeds in early and some seeds in late and they have done well. I just wondered if they could go in earlier and do ok.

Comment

The purple cauliflowers are a bit more of a open habit, and the more light the heads get the darker purple it will become.
        However trying to grow too far out of season can mean the head will get damaged and therefore quality will be a bit on the poor side.

er.. if you get what i'm saying!

neil

Comment

I understand, Thank you Neil.
          I think I'll wait, I get a bit over excited some times. I think because our weather is quite mild I can be cheeky and get away with it.

Comment

I usually start carrots off early in Jan in loo rolls and plant out on the lottie when they are about half inch of growth. I keep them covered with fleece, although they are frost hardy, just to raise the temp a bit and encourage them to put on growth. I will also sow some in deep pots and keep in the greenhouse. I usually sow early Nantes to start off.

Ian

Comment

I haved started my carrots in loo rolls in very big pots , about 70 loo rolls to a pot and 2 seeds to a loo roll no need for thining, when the weather warms up I will puts pots outside, as I eat the carrots I replace with more seed

marion

Comment

I grew purple carrots last year as a result of trying them from Sainsbury's [they cost a fortune by the way]- they took a while to mature but were worthwhile.

Personally they seem best by far raw rather than cooked, in salads etc, as they are so sweet.

Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Is that why the Dutch have an orange football strip?

Strangely, you're kind of right.

Orange carrots were supposedly* bred to honour the Dutch royal family, who are associated with the colour orange. The Dutch football team lay in the colour orange for the same reason.

(Amsterdam Travel, - Articles)

Rob

* Not sure if its an urban myth or not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X