Garlic Ho!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

It's my first year with my own allotment too. I've grown indoor stuff, and helped my folks with their garden, but am loving having a patch all to myself (well, shared with a mate). I've heard some interesting companion planting ideas too - marigold and potatoes is something I want to try. Apparently the bugs that like to eat potatoes hate marigolds! And you can use the petals in salads. Win win!

p.s. you a programmer? I like the nerdy tech joke signature!
    Last edited by magz.mccarthy; 19-12-2008, 04:29 PM. Reason: silly typo

Comment

Thats first thing i grew too magz well done and hope you enjoy
      ps my next thing was onions
      Take photographs today because tommorow you might not have

Together everyone achieves more

Comment

Originally posted by magz.mccarthy View Post
        p.s. you a programmer? I like the nerdy tech joke signature!

Guilty as charged, although I prefer the term geek to nerd
        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Can I still plant mine ones?ordinary garlic from the shop or gardening one?

Comment

I think someone on another thread said that his (her) father used to plant on the shortest day for harvest on the longest day. Was that onions or garlic or both?
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Hi coreopsis,

I was told to plant on the shortest day, but got really impatient and put them down in October. I'd say there should be no problem at all planting now. I think they may not start to grow for a bit longer though. Mine took around 3/4 weeks to start looking convincing.

Comment

Garlic can be planted in early spring too, it just needs a period of cold to make sure the bulb splits into cloves. If you lookon some suppliers websites it should say when to plant each variety. Try the garlic farm?

Comment

Checked my garlic bed this morning and there are tiny little shoots just poking their heads above the soil. Am a very happy bod today.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Peabody View Post
                    Checked my garlic bed this morning and there are tiny little shoots just poking their heads above the soil. Am a very happy bod today.
                    Congratulations, a slightly late Xmas present from mother nature
                    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Planted mine in October and gave up on them coming through. However, a couple of days ago when I checked they were all starting to come through!! I didn't think it would take so long!

Comment

Sorry to hijack a thread but I need a bit of advise as a first time gardener. I planted my garlic from October and it is doing really well. I understand that when it is ready for harvesting I should let it dry out by laying it on the soil. I can't really do that because of potential problems with (shall we say) local "wildlife." Would drying them in a garage be okay? Also what is the difference taste wise between green and dried garlic?

Thanks

Comment

Planting on the shortest day and harvesting on the longest usually refers to planting shallots. However garlic is the same family so give it a go, don't try it with onions though as they will bolt. Not much difference in flavour between green and dried garlic although dried tends to be more intense. When drying try to get a bit of sun on the bulbs to form a nice skin then keep them in the garage.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X