No announcement yet.

How many onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neither do I - I went in for onions as it was the only place open on my way back from dropping the OH off at the footie and walked straight back out again.

I never want to run out again, which is why I grow so many!

Comment

I have about 50 in at the moment. But come early next year i will be planting out a lot more sets. I understand the spring sets last longer in storage, so that'll help. But i think i'll need 200 ish.
      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

It was a pretty poor year for onions with me and so have had to buy what I needed. Have managed to get them at reasonable price off local markets. I always do well with leeks and have grown loads so have been suplementing the onions with leeks. I know leeks aren't as strong flavoured, although I had one yesterday that made my eyes water (never had that before).

Ian

Comment

I have put in about 200 sets, 100 each in red and white and today I will be starting off seeds for 2 white varieties, then next week I'll try and get some seeds for red onions as well.

As you will guess we too get through a lot of onions.

OH used the majority of this years reds to make onion jam and by god it is so intense in food. (had to do this as they all started to go to seed.

Down to my last string of whites in the storeroom now, so at some point am going to have to buy some (not looking forward to that).
          I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

I ordered a mixed bag of onion sets yesterday from Thompson and Morgan for £3.79. I only need 1 bag as short of space. The pack contains a mixture of red, white and brown.
            Can't remember how many of each.
            http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

i managed to plant out another 100xred & 100x white, I was at the local garden centre & they had buy one bag get one free..will also start off some from seeds this week

Comment

Noticed in B&Q yesterday that they had their set at 1.98 per 100 for red and several types of white. Plus they had garlic and shallots.

Didn't take much notice of varieties as all mine are in.
                I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

If you've got a local allotment shop they will probably sell the sets by weight and will be a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    That's a lot of onions Snadger! As things stand I'm probably going for a single 10' x 4' bed of onions
                    In that size bed last year, I planted almost 2 full packs of sets, Plus a few shallots and some garlic. The onions were spaced in offset rows, using a small plantpot to mark the spacings so they all had room to grow to about 'medium' sized. A few failed or were pulled out by the birds leaving room for some to grow large. Not many bolted. The shallots didn't do so well, but the garlic romped away & I got some cracking bulbs. So I'll not bother trying to squeeze the shallots in again, but give the space to more onions, or more garlic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X