No announcement yet.

What veg did you use from the plot on Chrsitmas Day

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter refers to them as fartichokes, can't think why. Loads in the garden ready to be used this winter, I love them. Apparently by using winter savoury with them when you cook them, it reduces the flatulence, not tried it yet, but I do have some savoury growing so will try it out.
    Sylvianne

Get back to the earth, learn to grow your own future

Comment

Pinto beans and chilli pepper in the chilli.

We are using at the moment, cabbage, leeks, carrots, parsnips, oca all harvested in the last week or still in the ground.

Comment

Only had celeriac and khol rabbi this year. We ran out of the other stuff, because i'm still trying to get the rest of the lottie ready for growing (lots of bindweed & couch grass etc). But i do have jerusalem artichokes. Iwasn't sure that i should mix them with brussels sprouts
        "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Just leeks - will do better next year

janeyo

Comment

Abboslutly nothing I havent been well and couldnt be bothered to go and dig up some parsnips as thats all there was. Will try better next year.
            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
            and ends with backache

Comment

hoping next year after having an allotment for abput 360 days i will be able to supply quite alot of veg on christmas day.

this year we had to make do with a big box full of wonderful veg i bought from the farm shop down the road- all wonderfully tastey. Served with my home made cranberry and orange preserve and apple butter. We had some of my blackberry vinegar with the starter too.

Roll on monday when i finally get to take up residence on my allotment

i.e. the precise moment my plot is marked out on our brand spanking new allotment site in the village!!! my dad whos an architect, has the wonderful job of marking it out on monday for the parish council, with lots of willing volunteers. We have been told that as soon as our plot actually exists' its ours to fawn over. then as the week progresses our plots will be stripped of turf, then the real work can begin!

Im thinking of buying a wee bottle of bubbly to toast to the occassion.... perhaps the toast should be "heres to next christmas' veg!" as it seems its quite a few peoples goal!

Comment

oh just parsnips but they were the best tasting parsnips I have ever had. Fantastic. *proud*
                We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

I had six perfect lil new potatoes from my xmas bucket i ate them all to myself !
                  Vive Le Revolution!!!
                  'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                  Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Carrots, Swede, Parsnip and Cabbage. My first ever success with cabbages and they're stunning!
                    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Potatoes, onions, shallots, red cabbage, cavalo nero ,lots of leaves for Xmas tea (baby leaves of rainbow chard, pak choi, lambs lettuce, winter lettuce and radiccio).

Note to self to try growing parsnips and brussels for next year.
                      Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Only managed Leeks and Potato's emptyed my last container of Potato's on Christmas Morning, SO fresh and so tasty, intend to do better next year.

Comment

Just carrots... I had a pretty good first year growing stuff, but didn't plan very well - next year will be better and hopefully all veg will be home grown.
                          pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

We used:-

Spuds
                            leek
                            cavelo nero
                            carrot
                            parsnips
                            swede
                            Brussels
                            cabbage
                            Celeriac
                            cranberries
                            Apples (stored)
                            Thyme
                            Sage
                            Rosemary
                            parsley (out of the tunnel)

Comment

Just carrots grown in pots in garden. Had 3 small potaoes from my pot which I used in a turkey hotpot that I made for MIL and took to hospital in a flask on Boxing day.Home grown spuds are her favourite and she loved them.
                              Hope to grow all Christmas veg next year on New Lottie.
                              Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just harvested some oca today so will be having them for supper

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X