Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it too early to stop outdoor tomatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too early to stop outdoor tomatoes?

I have some Gardeners delight tomatoes which are thriving outdoors.

They are about five foot high and have four to five trusses on each.

I have been side shooting and tying them to canes religiously

Considering I live in the North East of England does anyone know whether I should take the growing point out (stopping one leaf above the top truss?) or leave it for a while.

Only the bottom trusses are ripening at present and I have cleared a few of the lower leaves away to assist ripening

My first job each time I visit the allotment is to pick a few ripe tomatoes which really taste lovely, straight from the vine! Yum
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

I would Snadger as time is running out for toms now.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
      I would Snadger as time is running out for toms now.
      Thanks Nic, I might put the plastic cover over them as well, Cheers
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Leave them for another while. The forecast is for really good weather for the next couple of weeks.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'm with Nick, Snadger. Time is running out. I would do all you can to get your crop. When did you plant your gardeners delight. Seems late to me to be getting them ripened. I've eaten most of mine. Hope the weather holds for you but the forecast is good.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

When is the best time to sow Tom's? I would like to get a few done as early as poss next year and I was thinking about Jan / Feb in doors. Can I go as early as Dec to get an early crop?

Comment

Oh dear, I stopped all mine two weeks ago to help them get on with ripening. Mind you there was plenty of green fruit.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

You can SF if you've got a heated greenhouse. They will get drawn in the house as there isn't enough light really. You can try the old cardboard box trick (have a look thru the early postings) lined with tinfoil but it's still not Ideal.

But if you have a frost free Greenhouse your OK & can look forward to early toms (you couls always root some side shoots & keep them going thru the winter
                ntg

Comment

I think I'd better stop mine too.... all my fruits are still green

Comment

My year has been really poor for tomatos... not a great deal of fruit and they're still green. Only had a handful off them this year. They were March sowings - was I too late? (before I've bought seedlings...)

How do I 'dtop them' and at what point should I just give in and pull the trusses off and ripen in newspaper under the stairs?
                    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I've pinched out the tops of my 'Moneymaker' toms as they have still got 'green as grass' trusses on them. I planted them out a bit late though this year, the first week in June, so they took some time to get going.
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                        I'm with Nick, Snadger. Time is running out. I would do all you can to get your crop. When did you plant your gardeners delight. Seems late to me to be getting them ripened. I've eaten most of mine. Hope the weather holds for you but the forecast is good.
                        Were you growing your crop outdoors?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Judging by the reports of frost from all over the place this morning, I guess it's not worth persevering with the outdoor ones now. Just get the ones you've got to ripen.

Stopping is easy Shortie, just snap the growing tip off (or cut it off if you want) that will stop it going up then.
                          ntg

Comment

I seem to be out of step with everyone else. My tomatoes ( which are outdoor) are doing really well and have had a good crop this year. Its not the best i have ever had but its good all the same. Am going to leave mine for another week or two and see what happens.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

just pulled up my outdoor toms today...too few fruit on them ( otherwise would have fleeced them) Now on dishes in the sun on the windowsill! ( well..not at the moment as it's midnight and there is no sun here at the moment!!! )
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X