No announcement yet.

Chilli Obsession !!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question, does everyone isolate each chilli plant to prevent cross pollination (I'm wondering how i'm gonna do this with so many chilli plants). Because I want to save seed from each variety if poss

Comment

Hi Coomber

Ideally you would isolate every plant to prevent cross polination, but in all practicallity that is something that not many of us are able to do,, you would actuall have to have different species of plants at least 100mtrs apart, and that would be pushing it.

What I have always done and it has always worked for me is to hand pollinate a few flowers from each individual plant, so long as you remember which flowers you hand pollinated then the resulting chilis from that particular flower should be 100% true to form

Comment

Originally posted by coomber View Post
        Quick question, does everyone isolate each chilli plant to prevent cross pollination (I'm wondering how i'm gonna do this with so many chilli plants). Because I want to save seed from each variety if poss
        i haven't up until now i have to be honest, but............. this is so going to be an issue.( frantically working out how many rooms i have), cross pollination would mostly be an issue outdoors, if you are hand pollinating indoors there is less chance.
        Last edited by BrideXIII; 28-01-2009, 04:24 PM.
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by coomber View Post
          its going to be hard to keep one strain pure if you are growing outdoors, they will hybrid through cross pollination and insect pollination,, pollen can travel 2 miles away from the plant espically if there is warm gentle breeze... its going to be interesting if you try.. but chili seeds are cheap so you can just let seed vendors worry about that and just buy the strain when you want it...

Even if it gets cross pollinated by another strain of chili.. you cant really tell when you grow the seeds its not a physical change that occurs, its more on a deeper biological level.. only after you have bred them out maybe 4th generation , then maybe you can tell that the cross pollinated chili is physically and taste wise different than the original.

Comment

Cause on the reel seed website they have instuctions on how to save seed and it says each variety needs isolating unless they are more than 50 metres away from each other. My garden is big but not that big

Comment

Ooooh thanks for the extra quick replys!!!! I think i might try your idea chillimad and hand pollinate a few flowers and save the seed from those

Comment

anyone reccomend a cherry bell pepper for pots?
                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by coomber
                  Ooooh thanks for the extra quick replys!!!! I think i might try your idea chillimad and hand pollinate a few flowers and save the seed from those
                  I think even after hand pollination you can't be sure insects won't get 'in'? But you could do what was recommended on the Chillis Galore forum - take an unused teabag (empty out the tea!) and put it over the unopened flower, I attached some using bits of wire twists, the light can still get to the flower - when it's pollinated you should be able to take it off.

Last edited by smallblueplanet; 28-01-2009, 04:50 PM.
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                    I think even after hand pollination you can't be sure insects won't get 'in'? But you could do what was recommended on the Chillis Galore forum - take an unused teabag (empty out the tea!) and put it over the unopened flower, I attached some using bits of wire twists, the light can still get to the flower - when it's pollinated you should be able to take it off.
                    Good idea, Thanks smallblueplanet

Comment

Okay, first of many questions. I have 9 unknown chillis growing (moon trials, got impatient), they need replanted out of the propagator into pots - what size of pots, what compost, do you add anything to compost to aid draining, do chillis like TLC or a bit of abuse? On Sunday I am putting Lemon Drop Chillis in propagator - even though they aren't peppers I should still treat them them same, right?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X