Wet garden.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beanie View Post
    My allotment's on heavy clay soil - the paths are sodden & squelching but the raised beds I have, are all OK. So they're definately worth making. However, if you're going to dig over the soil underneath before making the raised bed (which I think is recommended), then probably best to wait till it dries out a bit. But once they're in place, you'll be flying, & if they're permenant, then you won't have this problem next year!
    Raised beds rock!
    unfortunately, i have no access to anything cheap or free to fill raised beds with, but i compost everything possible, the beds will be raised eventually lol.

Comment

i put a minature tree in a one of them half barrel pots. Came home from work last week and the soil in it was so wet it looked like soup! Every time it rains now I've got an old compost bag that I've cut (strategically) and i put this over the pot like a mac!!

Hope the tree can swim!!

Comment

I think I will wait a bit like you all say, it is still very wet out there today.
        I went to check when we installed the new waterbutts (not sure if we will need them at the moment.) and it is still squelchy out there.
        OH thinks we should start on the greenhouse base first as its not quite so wet where thats going.
        I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Frustrating isn't it.

I keep going over to the allotments but the paths are so squelchy, the old Victorian land drains I came across last season seem to be working a bit as at least the plots are not actually under water like I thought they would be.

It was a bit surreal last Sunday, as I walked down the site to my plots, it was actually like walking in a stream, it was gurgling as it ran down the paths.

Going down there again today to see if my new solar rodent deterant is still working and check the rat traps but I know I'm not going to be able to do anything on the beds again.

I've got a ton of things at the side of the house ready to be transported down but will be impossible to get the car round to my plots yet.
          I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Not sure if this is of any use, but does anyone know if adding some horticultural sand would help the soil to drain off?
            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X