No announcement yet.

Egyptian Walking Onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh, ooh, I think I've got some by accident. I'll post a pic tomorrow. If they are what you are looking for than I'll try and get some to you if you want.

EDIT: I've just had a look at them and they just look like chives but I was told that they grow "onions" on top of the stalks so I guess they may be the ones you are talking about. I will ask tomorrow and let you know.
    Last edited by scarey55; 05-02-2009, 08:48 PM.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thanks Zazen, I found the supplier on e-bay. And thanks for the link Selfraising. I'll check it out. Just got to get some for that darling man.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
        I know Beans and Herbs sell them. I'm sure I read Snadger grows them - he tried growing them in pots but don't think it was too successful.

What pot could hold the great Egyptian Walking Onion?

Seriously, never heard of them, would love to know more.
        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I got curious and there is an actual web dedicated to these. Hubbie thinks they look ugly
          Egyptian Walking Onion

Comment

I've grown them. They are a bit of a novelty and look quite ornamental. They get there name walking onions by growing little shallot type onions at the top of the stem, the weght makes the stem bend over and deposit the onions on the ground, hence walking onions. Not sure whether mine got sick of walking, had a rest, then promptly died on me!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for the link Amateur. Very informative.

Comment

Potato onion looks really interesting. Might get some next year to grow.

Steven
                http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Thanks everybody. I've got them ordered on e-bay.
                  Now I want to get some of those potato onions. Did anyone find a supplier ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X