Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    'Paris Silverskin'

An excellent multi purpose onion: grow & eat as a Spring Onion or allow to grow on and mature for a fine crop of small pure white onions perfect for pickling

These really are gorgeously sweet and highly recommended. Paris Silverskin Pickling Onion Seeds | Pickled Onion Seeds from Unwins
    thanks twosheds, and Sarzwix i shall purchase some forthwith
    Last edited by lynda66; 07-02-2009, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
      Last year I just planted my excess sets(sorry can't remember what they wer other than white!....this year everything will be written in my journal!).....anyway I planted them in a row really close together so as to not give them much growing space....once thet'd done their growing....perfect size for pickling.(not sure if this is supposed to work or if we were just lucky?)
      i wish i was lucky lol

Comment

thanks all, i shall make a determined effort to get lots of pickles this year

Comment

ok, i was in poundstretchers, and i got 75 onions for 99p, i got stuttgarter giant cos they sounded big, and silver moon, cos they didn't have paris silverskin lol will have to look further afield methinks, i think i'll use them for onions and use the ones in the ground from last year for pickles, maybe, well i'm gonna get onions this year if it kills me lol

anyway, i was looking at the shallots, you only get 15 for 99p, but they are HUUUUGGGEEEE ..... they are already bigger than pickled onions, so seemed a bit pointless, cos i wouldn't want em any bigger, so i didn't get any
          Last edited by lynda66; 12-02-2009, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
            ok, i was in poundstretchers, and i got 75 onions for 99p, i got stuttgarter giant cos they sounded big, and silver moon, cos they didn't have paris silverskin lol will have to look further afield methinks, i think i'll use them for onions and use the ones in the ground from last year for pickles, maybe, well i'm gonna get onions this year if it kills me lol

anyway, i was looking at the shallots, you only get 15 for 99p, but they are HUUUUGGGEEEE ..... they are already bigger than pickled onions, so seemed a bit pointless, cos i wouldn't want em any bigger, so i didn't get any
            With shallots you get more than one onion you get a clump so they dont really get bigger.
            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
            and ends with backache

Comment

oh how annoying is that lol, stupid things never said that on the packet, so does one just split then?? or do they grow from roots??

gonna go read about them now in my posh new gardening books ....... well at least i got onions

Comment

you plant one shallot and it splits to form 6-10 the same size,this year I bought them from sainsburys (all british grown),and I will save enough for next year from this years crop.
                by the way they are fantastic pickled in balsamic vinegar!
                Last edited by snakeshack; 12-02-2009, 09:42 PM.
                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Paris silverskin are indeed very nice and this year I'm trying De Barletta for pickling too

Comment

i shall get some paris silverskins next time i get paid, theres a few others i want to try too i love pickles

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
                      you plant one shallot and it splits to form 6-10 the same size,this year I bought them from sainsburys (alll british grown,and I will save enough for next year from this years crop.
                      by the way they are fantastic pickled in balsamic vinegar!
                      were they expensive?? i don't get to sainsburys much as it's a bit out of the way, mine don't say where they were grown but they came from huddersfield

Comment

the shallots I bought were the long french ones and some round ones (golden gourmet?)about 12-15 in the pack for £1.50 as I recall.Most supermarkets sell shallots ,I bought british as I thought they would be suitable to grow here.
                        Last edited by snakeshack; 12-02-2009, 09:45 PM.
                        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

that's a good point ..... i think i may pop in ..... was expecting them to be about 20 quid lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X