Crop rotation - confused!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crop rotation - confused!

Having moved to a house with an established veg patch a year ago, I have decided to follow the crop rotation system. I began this this spring, based on what had been grown by the previous owners.
    However, I was previously a spring to summer veg grower (toms, courgettes, beans etc.) but am now keen to get more out of the garden and grow broad beans (have just sown these in cells today), spring cabbages, spring cauli's and I'm confused about how this affects my crop rotation. Presumably I do not put beans in where I have just grown beans etc. Does this then mean that when my broad beans, for example, are over, that I don't put more beans in there next spring? It's all very clear in my head what I'm trying to say, but I'm thinking it's as clear as mud on here!!
    Basically I want to put my BB in 2 crop spaces from where runners and french currently are. this means, according to my plan, my RB and FB next year will go in next to where I'm planning BB to go. Is this ok?
    Also, when books say not to plant like for like for a 'season', is that one year?

I tend to go with the year rather than by a crop by crop basis.

i.e. I put the over winter onions in the bed where the summer ones came from.

Rotations are only a guide line really not something that has to be ridgedly adhered to. One of our lottie plotters only grew potatoes so he could only rotate the earlies with maincrop ! Not Ideal but he managed.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

I'll probably get shot down for this but I never plant a crop from the same family on the same area, straight away! I also hate to see bare soil so try wherever I can to keep a succession of crops
      I would imagine you could get away with this but may have to use a soil sterilant in between crops.
      As an instance, I am desperate for my maincrop potatoes to finish so I can plant either Broad beans or Spring cabbage in there place.
      I don't think crop rotation needs to be followed religiously but I make an effort whenever possible to not plant like for like straight away.
      Basically its whatever works for you, as I know even the champion onion growers grow there onions in the same bed year after year!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        I'll probably get shot down for this ...........I know even the champion onion growers grow there onions in the same bed year after year!
        No we won't shoot you down Snadger. if you can do it then go for it but some people don't get much choice.

As to using the same bed, yes I know several people that do that but they are meticulous with hygene, they water the beds with Armillartox & any plants that look sick are removed along with some of the soil as well. If you do things intensivley you have to be more careful & for the "beginer" (not meant to be patronising) it is better & easer not to try this till they get more experience otherwise you are destined for failures & that is demoralising - none of us want that.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X