Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen seedlings

A little help please.
    I have several trays of seedlings that i germinated inside, i placed them in my brick shed on the window cill but when i went to check on them this morning one of the trays had slightly frozen soil, the seedlings look ok but have i possibly damaged them, i have leeks, cabbage, sprouts and chitting potato's am a bit concerned that i may have lost all my hard work so far.
    any advice gratefuly received
    Last edited by archerellie3425; 12-02-2009, 05:18 PM.

I'd get them back inside, you've nothing to lose by keeping them going...at the mo, you're worried you've lost them all so those that pull through, will be a bonus.

I think you'll find that the leeks, cabbage and sprouts are hardier than you think.... as to the chitting potatoes, move them a bit away from the cill. I'm sure someone with more experience will come along to correct me if I'm wrong
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Hello Archerellie, that's the danger of sowing too early. The seedlings come through but then , what are you going to do with them.

Your seedlings might be allright. But seedlings can be checked by cold - that is they just sit there and don't grow on. Sometimes they sit for a couple of weeks without growing, so you loose the advantage you thought you were getting by sowing early. Sometimes they never recover and don't grow on at all.
      I think all you can do is move them to a warmer place and wait and see.
      Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My greenhouse heater ran out of fuel during the night last week and I found my cabbage seedlings in ice cubes of compost in the morning brought them in to the warm and they have grown on

Comment

Hi bring inside straight away, Can you put a heat source out there? You need to protect from the cold or all the hard work will be wasted
          My Paraffin heater leaked last week so I had to put an eletric oil radiator in to keep everything going, If you have a min max thermometer that will help to understand the temperatures your seedlings are going through.

Regards
          Pat
          "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X