This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
    that's twice i have read this thread now, and i have to say, both those comments i would find very offputting if i was new here.

I think i may need a break, i fail to see why new faces should be a 'problem' nor why any question deserves a rolleyes sarcastic smiley.
    What we could do with is some sort of signpost to newbies reminding them that there are substantial archives for the Grapevine and that there may already be an answer to their question lurking somewhere in the back messages.
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
      that's twice i have read this thread now, and i have to say, both those comments i would find very offputting if i was new here.

I think i may need a break, i fail to see why new faces should be a 'problem' nor why any question deserves a rolleyes sarcastic smiley.

Here she goes, here she goes, chill out Bride willya! lol It's just a case of familiarity breeds contempt methinks............normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Here she goes, here she goes, chill out Bride willya! lol It's just a case of familiarity breeds contempt methinks............normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!
        well i admit i was offended, and that's not easy, you know me.
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
          I have a theory that GYO is like one of those weird genetic diseases that skips to alternate generations.
          I wonder if the children of the WWII generation were just too bored by their parents' endless 'Dig for victory' tales, leaving those of us who grew up on 'The Good Life' to take over the mantle? Admittedly it took me a long time to get around to it, since my previous partners weren't exactly know for their vegetable-eating habits, but now I feel like an old hand - I think I started growing tomatoes and stuff in my back garden in 2005, and got my allotment in the summer of 2006, just as the bandwagon was starting to roll

Re newbies: IMHO the reasons they always turn up with the same old questions are two-fold:

1. No-one actually reads webpages, they only scan them for a few seconds in search of the specific bit of information they are looking for.

2. Whilst Googling can usually turn up loads of useful info, I'm afraid the same can't be said of the search engines used within some forum software. A lot of them can't handle multiple search terms at once (despite giving the impression that they do) and will return zero results for even the simplest of queries

It's so much easier to ask a question and then be directed to that really useful thread that all the old hands know about...

The best solution might be a Reference section of locked threads, one per hot topic, that new members could be pointed to. That, and some milk of human kindness

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice, then, if the various councils and other powers that be did something to make more land available and reduce allotment waiting times

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
              I like the self sufficiency ideal too, yet it went too far in Cambodia. On the news this morning about the trial of a Khmer Rouge leader, the regime of Pol Pot returned everyone from the cities to a rural lifestyle and a farming self sufficient life. All the intelligent people got killed.
              Oooh I hope not. I had planned to really work on my brain power and so become a half wit.

Seriously, I'm new on this site because I'm new to vegging out and fairly new to fruiting out. Had a few trees for a few years but never actually looked after them. The reason I have started growing veg is simply because it tastes so much better than supermarket pap. I've been growing exotics including bananas, (they're easy if you just want the ornamental not the fruit ) for years but then a neighbour (who like me is absolutely dripping in cash ) gave me some home grown tatties. I'd forgotten that spuds actually have taste if properly grown. Took me back to my first childhood (am now on my third) and as I have a largish garden I decided to give some of it over to growing my own. I've asked a few questions and they may have been daft to an experienced veg/soft fruit grower but to me there is no such thing as a daft question. If you don't know the answer then moody well ask. It's daft not to.

I've found this forum very friendly and informative and if I didn't know that I can grow banana plants, even without bananas, then I would ask.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                I like the self sufficiency ideal too, yet it went too far in Cambodia. On the news this morning about the trial of a Khmer Rouge leader, the regime of Pol Pot returned everyone from the cities to a rural lifestyle and a farming self sufficient life. All the intelligent people got killed.
                I don't think you can compare the UK to Cambodia. Wiping out the intelligensia is a typical strategy of a hardline Communist regime - they want to keep people poor and ignorant and easy to control. It's not really about self-sufficiency, that's merely the justification given in the propaganda.

We have the opposite problem in this country - a large sector of the population who are over-urbanised, malnourished and ignorant of how to feed themselves properly (see the News page of the March issue of GYO if you don't believe me!). A bit of self-sufficiency is exactly what we need

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                  Oooh I hope not. I had planned to really work on my brain power and so become a half wit.

Seriously, I'm new on this site because I'm new to vegging out and fairly new to fruiting out. Had a few trees for a few years but never actually looked after them. The reason I have started growing veg is simply because it tastes so much better than supermarket pap. I've been growing exotics including bananas, (they're easy if you just want the ornamental not the fruit ) for years but then a neighbour (who like me is absolutely dripping in cash ) gave me some home grown tatties. I'd forgotten that spuds actually have taste if properly grown. Took me back to my first childhood (am now on my third) and as I have a largish garden I decided to give some of it over to growing my own. I've asked a few questions and they may have been daft to an experienced veg/soft fruit grower but to me there is no such thing as a daft question. If you don't know the answer then moody well ask. It's daft not to.

I've found this forum very friendly and informative and if I didn't know that I can grow banana plants, even without bananas, then I would ask.
                  Yes the taste is what drives us, hence my nostalgia over my dad's runner beans. Have you bought tomatoes from the supermarket lately? Utterly tasteless.

I love answering the questions, if I think I know the answer.
                  Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                    What we could do with is some sort of signpost to newbies reminding them that there are substantial archives for the Grapevine and that there may already be an answer to their question lurking somewhere in the back messages.
                    I agree with you, Tony, but also find that sometimes old threads can be very long and frequently weave in and out from the subject - no prob with that, as more info around the subject is given out. However, sometimes a person might feel they will get a quick and straightforward answer by starting a new thread, asking the question that's on their mind just then.
                    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                      Good idea, but the web itself already has one or two ways of just giving pre-hashed answers. They are called search engines, the main one being Google. If I just want a straight answer to a straight question I google it. If I want to chat about my own particular situation I ask on a forum. And for fruit and veg there is none better than this one. There is one forum where the admins actively advise the 'old hands' not to answer questions just by referring people to the archives. They say that that is no fun and fun is part of forums.
                      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                      >
                      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I guess it's a case of striking a balance. There are some topics (like germinating parsnips, or sowing spring onions) that we all know have some good, useful threads that can be used for reference. OTOH there are plenty of questions that do need to take into consideration the asker's situation. I think as long as we answer the former with a friendly welcome followed by "Funnily enough, we've been discussing this topic recently - here's a link" or words to that effect, then everyone can get the best out of the forum

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                          Yes, or the 'How do I grow parsnips?' classic.
                          I’m regretting my stupid questions about my paper pots and chitting potatoes now - on the up side no one has sent me away with a flea in my ear and no rolled eyes (on screen anyway)
                          I have to say this forum is a little bit addictive (my wife calls me sad) and I really enjoy reading most threads - Eyren’s suggestion would be a great idea, now after a couple of months I am able to navigate my way around the forum to look up questions. I am sure there are others like me have little experience at gardening (always tried in my yard in SE London) and suddenly find a forum like this where you can ask away and sooooo many of you know the answers – If on day 1 I had realised the depth of information I could have searched for then I certainly wouldn’t have needed to ask a few of the questions which many of you kindly answered often with encouragement.
                          I am desperate to know why my tomato seeds haven’t germinated and how long before I should try again but I will search the forum first.

Regards
                          Pat
                          "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

I think the root of the "asking questions vs searching for answers" problem is that many of us use the forum for its sense of belonging and community - it is certainly a friendly place. It's a very warming feeling having people help directly with specific problems. And we know get a little excited when logging on to see if anyone has added to our threads

But then I do understand that Forums 'Fora?' can get clogged with millions of repeated threads.

Anyway - I reckon the veg growing boom is here to stay - veg seeds now outsell flower seeds. Schools are now really pushing the green agenda. Food miles are a 'hot topic' as is healthy eating and many Bristol school children now tend veg patches at school.

I think its marvelous - Its healthy, rewarding, mind cleansing, good for the environment, good exercise, educational, wholesome back to basics - there really is nothing bad to say about it. Its just what we need to lift the current economic gloom!

Forget the recession - I've just bought a load of raspberry canes, and my tomatoes have just germinated.... WOO HOOOOOOO!

Comment

And rather timely - National Trust is freeing up land for 1000 allotments....
                              BBC NEWS | UK | Land freed for 1,000 allotments

And also interviews on the radio 4 Today programme at about 8;40 so you can hear it on Listen Again.
                              "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think" - Dorothy Parker

Comment

I use quite a few forums, mainly computer and amateur radio related ones and the whole search engine thing crops up time after time. One forum (xda-developers.com) has a zero tolerance approach and pretty much anyone asking a question gets 'torn a new one'. I rarly post there but it is full of useful info if you like messing about with smartphones as i do. The opposite of this is 4winmobile.com, same subject but all questions are answered in a friendly and helpful way even if it is the 100th time we have seen it

Radiowise, i only use 1 now and its a friendly place. The great thing about amateur radio is there really is no one answer to most questions as there are so many variables. It makes for some good debate and fun reading.

Just heard about that national trust thing too, sounds like a great idea. Im a member so will be interesting to see if they do anything local to me.

Oh and my spring onions and one of the bean pots are starting to sprout, very exciting

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X