No announcement yet.

Broad bean problems ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I failed completely with mine last year, both when planted direct and sown in modules...I thought it was just because I hate the things and they knew it

So the question is - do I try again this year and if so, what variety? Any advice much appreciated by OH who loves the things and spent all last year moaning about having to buy them from the market

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
      I've a few BB plants doing very well in a box (under a fleece) - is it possible to leave them to grow on in the box or should I plant them out? The box is about a foot deep, I'm not sure how much depth they need for their roots.
      Hi Frannie,

There is a post going about the best stuff to put in a bean trench and the depth suggested to dig the trench there is 2 spits, which i think is two shovel head depths? Perhaps a foot will be plenty of space - so long as you can pop a bean pole in for support?

Margaret (p.s. I'm from Cork too, up the rebels!)

Comment

I have had some success using roottrainers - last year the first lot of beans (planted in roottrainers Jan) took 3 weeks to come up - this year, in a slightly warmer bedroom, they were up in a week and are looking very happy!
        (Red Epicure)
        S

Comment

Grrr....my broadbeans are all mouldy! No sign of any life inteh modules, just fungus all over the compost. Should I just bin them and start again?
          My 2014 No Dig Allotment
          My 2013 No Dig Allotment
          My 2012 No Dig Allotment
          My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Originally posted by magz.mccarthy View Post
            Hi Frannie,

There is a post going about the best stuff to put in a bean trench and the depth suggested to dig the trench there is 2 spits, which i think is two shovel head depths? Perhaps a foot will be plenty of space - so long as you can pop a bean pole in for support?

This is for climbing beans though Magz. They grow much taller and fruit in the hot weather (ha!) so they need a deep root run to act as a moisure retainer. The roots of broad beans aren't too deep - But I would check what variety it is. The Sutton grows about 12" high but my Bunyard's Exhibition a couple of years back grew as tall as me- 5' 9"!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by magz.mccarthy View Post
              Hi Frannie,

Thanks for the guidance, Magz, and nice to meet you!
              My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X