In or out ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In or out ?

Is it pointless putting Red Baron onion sets into modules, as i fear its time for them to go in the ground ?
    I guess the question should be 'when i can plant them outside !
    Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

I usually plant my onion sets out a bit later but I know of some at the allotments who have them planted out now!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My white onion sets had begun to sprout in the bag in January so it was suggested to me to plant them in modules - which I did. They are coming on fantastic and on Saturday they finally went in the ground. However I also planted my red sets at the same time (These were still dormant) and I've only had two green shoots from 40 sets so far.
      It was definatly too early to have planted them in January but I recon if you start them off now in modules you will have strong shoots by the time you want to plant out.
      Serene she stand amid the flowers,
      And only count lifes sunny hours,
      For her dull days do not exist,
      Evermore the optimist

Comment

I out my (white) onion sets into modules a few weeks back. They went out at the weekend. I find that they have time to make a good root system before planting if you do this. I get so many of them turfed out by the birds that my rows end up very ragged looking when I shove them back in a bit out of line. By now I would think you could do either. I put a tray and a half in (module trays) but had a few left over - the other half of the tray had shallots in. The left overs went straight into the ground. I expect they'll develop a bit later because they haven't already grown the root system of the module ones. However, If would only be a fair test if the left overs went straight into the ground on the day the other went into the module. Stop me, I'm waffling!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My sets and shallots are all in...any waiting for space have gone into modules to get them started.

Comment

Hi Flobalob
            I still have my Red Baron in pots. Not 100% sure what to do myself. Think I might hang on for a bit cos I'm not sure how this weeks bad weather will affect them. Will watch this thread for further advice. Thanks for posting this question.
            AKA Angie

Comment

My onion sets haven't even arrived yet, so no rush to get them in - it'll probably be April before mine are planted.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                My onion sets haven't even arrived yet, so no rush to get them in - it'll probably be April before mine are planted.
                Phew, that's a relief
                AKA Angie

Comment

All my whites are in, if the reds have arrived they would have been in as well, just need to keep an eye on the weather, will be colder this week.

Comment

Depends on if you are using heat treated or not. If heat treated then it's ok to plant now but if using ordinary ones I would be inclined to hold back a few weeks yet. Planting ordinary ones to early will result in a lot of losses due to bolting.

Ian

Comment

Gojiberry thanks for that. Have just checked on mine and they appear to be heat treated. Will they be okay with frost as well as the cold?
                      AKA Angie

Comment

Well i picked the bag of onion sets up pondering to pot up or not. The issue was forced to pot them up as a couple of them were ready to sprout out the bag.
                        Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

I chanced it and put out my Red Barons last week - we're supposed to be milder down here, but it snowed today... hmmmm

Like all my veg though, takes its chance. As long as we don't get a prolonged hard frost I'm sure they'll be fine - worst case scenario is spending another couple of euro to replace them

Comment

selfraising, the ones I'm waiting for are heat treated ones
                            If they start sprouting, or going soft, plant them. if not, don't rush I'd be tempted to put a cloche over them if planting now, but it is colder up here

Comment

Twinkle, you were unfortunate, we got no snow here so far anyway. Planted mine out last Saturday so fingers crossed for the weather to get milder.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X