No announcement yet.

Ants in my plot!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another way is by sprinkling polenta round the nest entrance. The ants like it and take it in to feed the Queen. She can't digest it and dies and that's the end of that nest.
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I like the idea of cinnamon, I had problems last year with ants eating my strawberries, I used borax mixed with icing sugar, not sure if it worked tbh because the strawberries had finished by the time I had got round to putting it out.
      I also have the problem of aphids on my currant bushes, if you watch, the ants stroke the aphids and gather up the sticky liquid the aphids push out of their bodies, they also defend them, going mad if something gets close. Ants will also carry the aphids around to new areas of lush growth.
      They literally farm them.

Its absolutely fascinating and well worth a look, doesn't stop me using fingers and soft soap to get rid of the aphids though. I don't worry about the ants on the fruit bushes, once the aphids are gone they don't do me any harm.

I do destroy red ant nests I find in the garden, because they sting us all, but only the black ones next to the strawberries. I taught my 5 year old that black ants won't hurt us and she's happy now to touch them with me and let them crawl over her.

Was funny (?) one time though, 4 kids bare footed in the summer, all gorging themselves on raspberries and they all at the same time started jumping up and down, they had stepped on a red ant nest and they all just stood there, jumping up and down, alternatively crying and eating raspberries

We did drag them out of the way in the end.
      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Sorry been unable to get online for last few days. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I do use the boiling water one. Have planted up some seeds this morning and I only saw a few. Am definitely going to use the pollenta or semolina idea. I am so glad I found this forum!!!

Comment

I too have loads of ants I have tryed almost eveything organic yet still no luck this year im trying tansy as i was given seeds ( noone from my local shop too wyevale/b&q had heard of it or sell and kept bring out pansy plants thinking i was saying it wrong ) its good at keeping cats off too and thats a bonus
          Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Nipon.....small disks...ants go in collect liquid go bck to the nest...its been working for me.
            Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
            Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
            Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

More than a nuisance

I am finding both red and black ants on my plot and have a bite on my hand..not nice.
              My big moan is the black ants are eating my strawbewrries...I got to pick what looks a large juicy strawb and when I pick it up several ants are inside devouring the inside.
              HELP!!

Comment

I cleaned out the shed yesterday, and came across an old bag of erricaious compost, it has an ant nest in it, and it is about 5 years old, should i just put it on the compost or is it still useable. Will be making a bed for acid loving plants later next year can i use it for that?
                Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

You don't need boiling water.
                  Just cold water will do. Ants will nest in dry places only.

Comment

Originally posted by danmon_81 View Post
                    Nipon.....small disks...ants go in collect liquid go bck to the nest...its been working for me.
                    That's what I do.
                    Hussar!

Comment

Originally posted by danmon_81 View Post
                      Not something I'd want anywhere near my crops though.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Not something I'd want anywhere near my crops though.

I doubt they or you would come to any harm. Sinosad ( the ant poison) is in tiny quantitys and seems to only effect ants. I suspect that the aphids that the ants farm do far more damage and lets not forget the Formic Acid in Ants is also a nasty chemical all be it "natural"
                        Hussar!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Eldritch View Post
                          I doubt they or you would come to any harm. Sinosad ( the ant poison) is in tiny quantitys and seems to only effect ants. I suspect that the aphids that the ants farm do far more damage and lets not forget the Formic Acid in Ants is also a nasty chemical all be it "natural"
                          Will still pass on it though

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by martyn.wood View Post
                            I am finding both red and black ants on my plot and have a bite on my hand..not nice.
                            My big moan is the black ants are eating my strawbewrries...I got to pick what looks a large juicy strawb and when I pick it up several ants are inside devouring the inside.
                            HELP!!
                            It was probably a slug that started it then the ants moved in. I have loads of ants, red and black. I found one stinging me on my shoulder the other day. Bladdy things. Wouldn't use poison on the plot though. I've had problems with them coming in the house but recently found this year that WD40 works a treat. Sprayed some along the bottom of the door where they were coming in and no more ants. They don't like to cross oily surfaces apparently. No use for the plot though. I've learned to tolerate them begrudgingly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X