No announcement yet.

I've got way too excited.. and

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You sound as enthusiastic as me about your new hobby feefee! I've had a right giggle reading through this. I'm so pleased that i'm not the only one here that needs alot of help. I've learned alot just from reading your thread. I've yet to start digging my garden - just waiting for the rain to stop. I was planning on finding beautiful brown compost like soil underneath my lawn - but I think i'm being a little bit optimistic!

Well done and keep going - seems to me you're doing a grand job!

Comment

Last year I dug a new veg bed in my garden and the soil was pants! Not too many rocks (a few though) but the soil was red clay you could make pots with, covered with about an inch of top soil - the top soil that was attached to the turf when it was laid, but no more! It rained while I was trying to dig it and my whole world become covered in filthy clay mud. Never again. I did add some compost and sand but not enough to make a huge difference. It was horrible.

Anyway, I grew spuds in it followed by kale and spinach over the winter and it worked - the crops were not brilliant but I suspect this is as much because of the shade (nowhere gets mroe than a few hours of direct sunlight a day) as the soil.

Well, the soil is still crap but over time I expect it will improve but I am NOT going to dig it over again, the worms will have to do it for me.

This year I wanted to make a new bed and did not dig at all - just added about 3 inches of compost and stuff (much of it used compost from last years tubs) and planted straight into that. It currently has spring flowers in it but will have herbs and salad as the growing season kicks off in earnest.

I will add compost and manure over time and I'm sure I will eventually have lovely soil. But it'll take a while.
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
        Feefee, your compost looks a bit on the dry side. Your big plants will be thirsty, give 'em a good drink. Yep, I'd go will strawberries in the blue pots, the other twiggy bushes look like some sort of currant bushes or maybe gooseberry?
        As to the seeds, very hard to tell except the ones with the big, fleshy leaves look like the beginnings of cucumbers or possibly courgettes. I think it'll be a while before the rest are identifiable. Wait for thier second leaves and take some more piccies then.

i wiatered them as soon asi read your post, thanks for that! i think why all my other plants have died is because i either drown them in water or they dehydrate, how much water should i give them and when...oh and how often xxxx

Originally posted by Looby-Blu View Post
        You sound as enthusiastic as me about your new hobby feefee! I've had a right giggle reading through this. I'm so pleased that i'm not the only one here that needs alot of help. I've learned alot just from reading your thread. I've yet to start digging my garden - just waiting for the rain to stop. I was planning on finding beautiful brown compost like soil underneath my lawn - but I think i'm being a little bit optimistic!

Well done and keep going - seems to me you're doing a grand job!
        mmm i think its begining to wear off now! its been roasting for the last few days here, where are you at?

Believe it or not ive done something very silly! ive realised ive planted my potatoes upside down should i dig them up? oh and you know when people say seed potatoes, what do they mean? ididnt use seed potatoes, i just used some what had chitted out of my cuboard (look at me now CHITTED, im learning guys)
        OH thought he would be helpfull and collect the dog poopie off the garden and chuck it on my veggie bed..... arrrhhhh now i have to pick it all out of the compost he put on top of it! MEN!

some very long roots have arrived today and they are a browny orange, any ideas?

Comment

As to when and how much water to give your babies, with things in big pots - like your currant bushes - stick your finger in the soil up to the first joint. If the compost/soil feels damp - like a freshly wrung out flannel- then your plants are damp enough. If it feels dryer than that, give them a good soaking. Don't be scared, as long as you have plenty of drainage holes in the bottom of the containers, the excess water will leak out through the bottom. That's actually a good indication that you have watered enough! Don't leave 'em standing in water though - they don't appreciate it!
          As far as your seedlings are concerned - when sticking your finger in may damage their delicate roots - go by the weight of the seed tray/pot etc. If it feels relatively heavy -then you should be ok. Don't wait untill they're drooping before you give them water. Don't sweat it luv, we're all on a learning curve here, and you'll be supprised by how much you learn in a very short space of time! The main thing is you are having a go!
          BTW, please DON'T stop posting. We all love your posts!!
          When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Feefeelaabelle, ~ I was just feeling a bit blue after a sad phone call from my daughter in law and you have cheered me up no end.
            Please don't feel daunted by the prospect. It will all work out OK. Just follow the advice given by all these nice people and you'll be fine.
            Above all, this is supposed to be fun (as well a beneficial in terms of exercise and healthy home grown food.) Just think of yourself in a few months time, serving up your home grown veg.
            If you occasionally fail - so what. You'll be better prepared next time.
            For instance. I have been gardening for many years but since joining this site I have branched out into things I would never have tried before ie cucumbers. Last year I bought greenhouse ones and grew a couple from seed for outside. This year I have wasted a whole packet of (expensive!!) seed trying to get them to germinate.
            It wasn't until I read that other peeps are starting them off on damp kitchen paper that I gave it a try and it works - brilliantly.
            See, even with years of experience you can still learn something.
            Anyway, thanks for the laugh and for not minding the jokes at your expense. Welcome to the madhouse

Comment

Originally posted by feefeelalabelle View Post
              Believe it or not ive done something very silly! ive realised ive planted my potatoes upside down should i dig them up? oh and you know when people say seed potatoes, what do they mean? ididnt use seed potatoes, i just used some what had chitted out of my cuboard (look at me now CHITTED, im learning guys)

some very long roots have arrived today and they are a browny orange, any ideas?
              Don't know what the roots are - what have you ordered recently? Pics? (good close up in sharp focus is most helpful)

Don't worry about the potatoes being upside down. You can plant them any which way up and they will work it out.

Seed potatoes are potatoes grown especially for planting (rather than eating). They are grown in carefully controlled conditions to ensure they will be disease free. Using some that have chitted from your cupboard will probably work fine but is not certified disease free in the same way as bought seed potato should be. Many say it is worth the extra cost for the sake of avoiding losing your crops, others always plant supermarket spuds and have no problems - you pays your money, you takes your choice!

HTH
              Last edited by Demeter; 24-03-2009, 08:08 PM.
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjo View Post
                Feefeelaabelle, ~ I was just feeling a bit blue after a sad phone call from my daughter in law and you have cheered me up no end.
                Please don't feel daunted by the prospect. It will all work out OK. Just follow the advice given by all these nice people and you'll be fine.
                Above all, this is supposed to be fun (as well a beneficial in terms of exercise and healthy home grown food.) Just think of yourself in a few months time, serving up your home grown veg.
                If you occasionally fail - so what. You'll be better prepared next time.
                For instance. I have been gardening for many years but since joining this site I have branched out into things I would never have tried before ie cucumbers. Last year I bought greenhouse ones and grew a couple from seed for outside. This year I have wasted a whole packet of (expensive!!) seed trying to get them to germinate.
                It wasn't until I read that other peeps are starting them off on damp kitchen paper that I gave it a try and it works - brilliantly.
                See, even with years of experience you can still learn something.
                Anyway, thanks for the laugh and for not minding the jokes at your expense. Welcome to the madhouse
                i hope everythings ok with your daughter in law, hope it nothing too serious, glad i could cheer you up a bit mate ! and as for laughing at my expense....... i really dont mind, i have to stop sometimes and have a quite chat with myself cos im amazed at the stupidity!YES IM BLONDE!!!!!lol. As you say its all good fun, im mainly doing this for my daughters benefit as i want her to have the best and to auctually know that CUCUMBERS DONT GROW UNDERGROUND!

You know i read somewhere on this site that some people who grow pumpkins support the fruits with an old pair of bra's i think i best grow miniture pumpkins as mine will just about support a pea (dwaf one that is) and my mum wouldnt appreciate me pinching her old bras !

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                  As to when and how much water to give your babies, with things in big pots - like your currant bushes - stick your finger in the soil up to the first joint. If the compost/soil feels damp - like a freshly wrung out flannel- then your plants are damp enough. If it feels dryer than that, give them a good soaking. Don't be scared, as long as you have plenty of drainage holes in the bottom of the containers, the excess water will leak out through the bottom. That's actually a good indication that you have watered enough! Don't leave 'em standing in water though - they don't appreciate it!
                  As far as your seedlings are concerned - when sticking your finger in may damage their delicate roots - go by the weight of the seed tray/pot etc. If it feels relatively heavy -then you should be ok. Don't wait untill they're drooping before you give them water. Don't sweat it luv, we're all on a learning curve here, and you'll be supprised by how much you learn in a very short space of time! The main thing is you are having a go!
                  BTW, please DON'T stop posting. We all love your posts!!
                  Arrr youve just ad me outside in my jimmyjams at this time of night sticking my finger in the compost !!!! DRY very dry, have watered them well and its a good job you say about drainage holes as i hanvt got any in mine,

so on the agenda for tomorrow is

try to sneak OH drill or screwdriver thingy outside to drill some drainage holes, headlines for thursday will be "home grown blonde in power tool masacre"

Make sure OH hasnt been helping again by chucking doggy poop on veg patch

take picture of them roots and upload
                  phone someone about top soil as i think it will cost alot to fill it up with compost

Oh DEMETER thanks for that about the potatoes that was really helpfull, just ordered my seed salad potatoes , it says the are earlies but isnt a bit late for them now

xxxxx

Comment

No, nowhere near too late for potatoes, you've got plenty of time Earlies take between 10 and 13 weeks to grow, depending on the variety.

Comment

I learnt the hard way about drainage holes, when last years Kale floated past the window! Get yourself a soldering iron girl, great piece of kit, cheap, and you dont have to borrow OH precious tools!
                      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                        I learnt the hard way about drainage holes, when last years Kale floated past the window! Get yourself a soldering iron girl, great piece of kit, cheap, and you dont have to borrow OH precious tools!
                        Or heat up a metal skewer (barbeque sort) and stick that in. Needs to be very hot mind and it might smell a bit so don't take a deep breath.
                        I couldn't find one recently so used one of our older dinner knives, not realising that it would change its colour. When OH washes up he passes comments on the oddity of the fact that only one of the knives has gone a funny colour - oops.!!

Comment

Sounds like you're doing a grand job Feefee, just think when everything grows it'll be all a surprise just like opening presents, and yes I dread going to the garden centre, I try to drag myself to the item I want and drag myself to the till itching to go look at plugs, seeds etc. I succeed most of the time
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I love going to garden centres and looking at the price of veg seedlings. "Look at that, £1.50 for tiny strawberry plant, £1.50 for a tiny tomato and £2.50 for 3 broad beans!"
                            Nothing else in the world makes me strive more to grow everything from seed
                            "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Oh Feefee, you are precious! Don't ever change!
                              I too have found myself outside, in the dark, in my jammies, apologising profusely to "my babies" for forgetting to bring them in.
                              Now for God's sake, please be careful with that drill!
                              When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Well if im honest i didnt dare to get the drill as im so accident prone, i used OHs fish knife and nearly ended up with 3 fingers its all done now though and they have some drainage holes now so one job down. Ive cleaned up all the dog poopie out of the veg patch well OH did most of it as he said i wasnt any good at looking for poo, haha my plan worked!!!
                                My purple sprouting brocolli plugs arrived today, should i have planted them out? .... i havnt ive put them in pots untill they get bigger dont know if thats right? how long do most veggies take to grow, i mean to produce so you can eat them? and how long should i leave between germinating seeds so that ive got a supply all year
                                just to let you guys know, ive been in poundland today and they have quite a bit of gardening stuff, eg netting which i invested in to keep my naughty kitty off, some fleeces, weed sheets, tunnel clotches ect ect, dont know what they are like for quality but i thought for a pound they are pretty cool, so if your on a budget then dont want you to miss a bargin
                                ive been looking on ebay for cut and come again lettuice but i cant find it nowhere, where do you think i will get some from?

hope everyones having fun with their teenie plants, i am, and my kitten sure is

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X