No announcement yet.

Finding worms dead on soil surface

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I read somewhere that it depends on where they're cut because apparently a worm has 5 hearts near the head so if you cut too near there it won't survive. If you cut it exactly in half, the tail end dies but the head half will re-grow.
    AKA Angie

Comment

Worms are hermaphrodite (Ooh get im!!) and come to the surface to mate at about this time of year. Whilst there, and locked in conjugal bliss they ARE prey to birds or other predators.
      Sometimes the old worms (poor beggars) after they've had there end away, are too knackered to return to the soil and dry up on the surface.

Probably wrong...........but that's my story and i'm sticking to it!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i'm sure i read somewhere that cutting a worm in two doesn't make two worms....only the head section survives, the tail end dies.

Other than that i have no advice to give - not experienced this Victoria, sorry. But hope the worm situation sorts itself out soon :-)
        There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
        Happy Gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria26 View Post
          yeh they split in 2 and both sides become a new worm.
          I remember seeing that one being debunked as a myth on a wildlife show

They're just like any other animal. You cut it in half, it dies. Both ends
          Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X