seed companys

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seed companys

Hi all. Apols if this has been asked a million times before on this forum, but I'm new and far too lazy to do a proper search...

It's that time of the year again where I start to organise myself for next year on the lottie. Nothing warms the cockles of the soul more than sitting in bed with a cup of Horlicks going through seed catalogues. So my question is this: do you know of any decent seed catalouges? I know of the obvious lot like the Organic Cat and Dobies, but are there any more, pref organic?

Apologies for this being slightly rambling and also for me being unable to spell catalogues.

EDIT - And spell companies, obv
    Last edited by Mildew; 08-10-2006, 10:25 PM.
    Shameless plug for my blog

Like you have used the usual ones, T&M, Suttons etc, but also got some good ones off Edmund Tucker a few years ago - didn't actually realise they did seeds until then, had always just known them for their beer.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Italian Seed Company

I have been very impressed by The Italian Seed Company

www.italianseedcompany.co.uk

They have many unusual varieties of typical italian/mediterranean veg. (heirloom etc), and their prices take some beating.....especially if you are quick enough to catch their £1 per pack offer which they have been running this year. I've bought quite a few packs from them this year and have found that I've had plenty of seed to share with friends, as the packets are quite generous.

Other than that there is Alan Romans

www.alanromans.com

He stocks limited varieties, and they come in plain packs (no pretty pictures or planting instructions) but a great price at 50p per pack. He's the bees knees for seed potatoes, although not at 50p per pack! (However, I believe that he does special offers in conjunction with GYO mag!).

If you have a very large garden / lots of gardening buddies / allotment then you could try seeds by size

www.seedsbysize.co.uk

I've not bought from them....but they seem to have a huge selection, and you buy by weight. There are no pictures at all on the site, and to be quite honest I find the layout a bit daunting. But I would think it ideal for the larger scale gardener.

Another seed supplier I would recommend is Nickys Nursery

www.nickys-nursery.co.uk

They have a great variety or fruit, veg and flower seed. You will normally find what you're looking for there. Prices are quite good (cheaper on average than T&M / Dobies / Suttons etc), and there is a greater choice, in my opinion. And you usually get a free "lucky dip" pack of seeds.

Hope this helps. I love spending the winter months seed shopping.....but I'm having to restrain myself this year, due to too much shopping over the past couple of years!

Comment

Hi mildew and creckless! welcome to the Vine! You've found the perfect place to find the answers to all your questions! just feel free to ask! everyone here as a wealth of knowledge on growing fruit and veg so don't feel afraid to ask away! do keep everyone updated on your progress! DDL
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Tamar Organics are good to
          http://www.tamarorganics.co.uk/
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

good thread!

My personal negative is Victoriana who were most uninterested in my poor germination results. Plants of Distinction don't score highly from memory either.

Positives go to Organic Gardening Catalogue, Tamar Organcis, Real Seeds, Vida Verde, Seeds of Italy. Of the big boys T&M and Mr F are also reliable.

This year I've even more catalogues Suffolk Herbs looks great. Mole Seeds looks great if I can find some friends to share.

Comment

Hi mildew and creckless. Welcome to the Vine. I tend to use Tamar Organics -very good service, very good seed and good range of organic seed pots with discounts if you buy more than one bag. Also Real Seeds, love their ethos, Nickys Nursery has a very good selection and some unusual ones - will be trying to grow samphire from seed next year from them. HDRA are very good (sorry, the organic gardening catalogue) and T&M.

With all those suggestions you are sure to find something to suit. Let us know how you get on and who you rate once you have had a chance to read a few more catalogues.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I've just looked at the Italian Seed Company and made an order. Thanks for the recommendation. I've managed to get some Romaine lettuce which I couldn't find.
                Bex

Comment

If you want quality and quantity, then my recommendation would be Moles Seeds, www.molesseeds.co.uk

Comment

Hi Mildew,

Whatever you do try Wallis seeds- super selection and cheaper than EVERYBODY, except Alan Romans, of course, but he has only a titchy selection as yet. I get what I can from him and nearly all the rest from Wallis.

email: wallis.seeds@virgin.net or phone 01245 360413. BIG catalogue in which you'll not be disappointed.

I have no other connection with the company.

Good hunting!

B.

Comment

You're all brilliant, thank you! I shall spend my entire day at work tomorrow going through all these companies, yay!
                      Shameless plug for my blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mildew View Post
                        Hi all. Apols if this has been asked a million times before on this forum, but I'm new and far too lazy to do a proper search...

It's that time of the year again where I start to organise myself for next year on the lottie. Nothing warms the cockles of the soul more than sitting in bed with a cup of Horlicks going through seed catalogues. So my question is this: do you know of any decent seed catalouges? I know of the obvious lot like the Organic Cat and Dobies, but are there any more, pref organic?

Apologies for this being slightly rambling and also for me being unable to spell catalogues.

EDIT - And spell companies, obv
                        Have you tried Kings Seeds. Lots of organics and traditional varieties, and discounts for allotment societies. We have had excellent results

Comment

I just tried to visit The Italian Seed Company

www.italianseedcompany.co.uk

but the link just directs to a name holding page

PS Mildew i have a list of the seed suppliers i use on my website if you want to take a look there www.masdudiable.com

I've just updated the page as i am scouring their online catalogues looking for next years picks my favourite bit of the year but as always am getting carried away already.
                          Last edited by pigletwillie; 24-10-2007, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Yeah, had a bad year for germination and would have blamed myself more if it hadn't of been for the 'Which' report that slated a lot of seed germination.

Victoriana seeds also had a poor success rate but had some good (nut) tres from them and am intending to get some cherry trees soon from them.

Had poor packs of thompson, johnson and marshalls..perhaps the best way is to produce your own seeds

My next door allotment holder recons seeds abroad are cheaper, more per pack and more reliable..he recently went to Greece and swears by them.

bvp
                            http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

I can recommend the following
                              Moles Seeds
                              Tamar Organics
                              Kings Seeds
                              Edwin Tucker
                              All have an excellent choice of varieties, including organic / non organic for most types and some varieties of veg, and I have had no germination problems with any of their seed at all.
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X