Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Butternut Squash and Spaghetti Squash cross pollinate?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Butternut Squash and Spaghetti Squash cross pollinate?

I am growing some butternut squash, but was also interested in trying some spaghetti squash, when it occurred to me that they might cross-pollinate. Would they? And would it matter if they did?

They would both be F1 seeds so I guess I probably shouldn't keep the seeds from them anyway (but was tempted to keep them from the vegetable squash, to see what happens!).

Would it be better if I grew them a little bit away from each other?

Squashes are very promiscuous, they cross readily with each other.

You're right, the offspring of F1 plants won't come true.

You could save some seed as an experiment, but who knows what you'd end up with?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Would it affect the flavour of the squashes? Would my spaghetti squash be very 'unspaghetti'???

Comment

You don't know what you'd get. Could be anything.

Comment

The bees that pollinate your squash will have been visiting other squashes in the vicinity too. Not much you can do about it really.

Comment

Originally posted by faerieprincess View Post
            I am growing some butternut squash, but was also interested in trying some spaghetti squash, when it occurred to me that they might cross-pollinate. ...Would it be better if I grew them a little bit away from each other?
            Hang on, are you talking about saving the seed, or about this year's crop? This year's crop will be fine. Your butternut seed will give you butternut fruits, and your spaghetti seed will give you spaghetti fruits.

You just can't save the seed and expect the same results next year.
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-03-2009, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Both really! Mainly if the taste would be affected, but thought I would try to keep some seed from the spaghetti squash as I haven't seen much of it around.

Comment

This year's squash for eating will be fine. It doesn't matter if the seed inside are crossed if you want the eating qualities of the flesh. However, you will get a total unknown if you save the seeds. If you're into experiemental gardening it might be worth a punt but you won't get spaghetti squash from the seeds of the spaghetti under these circumstances.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X