Raised Veg Bed... do i need a bottom?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweepster View Post
    I've been yanking the slabs up, making mini-raised beds (2" by 4" and 12' deep
    Would just like to mention that

a) I am an idiot, and

b) I meant 2 feet by 4 feet and 12 inches deep

c) I am not, in fact, attempting to grow the world's longest carrot

As you were...

Comment

thanks sweepster, needed a giggle

Comment

Ha ha

Well.. the wood has been purchased today and Dad has been prepped and given the plans..

Hope to have the bed built and in place by the weekend.. Yipee!

Thanks for the heads up 2sheds.. school boy error not thinking about the size of these vegetables once grown..

I think i will stick with my Potatoes in the bag.. leaving me more space in the raised bed..

Aiming for about 12inches deep maybe 16 and about 2metres x 1m sized bed....

I want carrots for sure.. but now im a little unsure what else would be space efficient..we eat alot of French Green beens..Parsnips...

Comment

French beans can be grown as dwarf or climbing plants.
          Dwarf plants are easy and quick, but climbing plants (as long as you can give them something to climb up!) will be more space efficient for a small plot as you are using vertical space.
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Thanks Demeter.. Never thought of climbing.. what would i do without you lot??

Comment

Growbags are handy things too, if you dont have a lot of space/open ground. Last year i grew runner and french beans from them climbing up string, also toms and courgettes too.

You can also cut the top right off and use it as a big planter for salad. Or put them on one end, chop the other end off and you have an instant pot for something that wants deeper roots, or even spuds.

Comment

Here she is! Dad Finshed building her last night...

Ended up about 1 foot deep 3feet x 6feet...

Attached Files

Comment

Fab - that'll get you going nicely
                  Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Oooh... tres magnifique

Comment

awww shucks....Thanks! Dad was VERY pleased with himself and quite rightly so...

Thats the Bed sorted.. now i need to take the plunge and get going..

Comment

please may i ask all you guys with raised beds what timber you used and how expensive was it? I need to make beds that are waist height as I have back problems. I am toying with do i make the beds high and fill with rubble in the bottom for drainage and then with topsoil and compost on top to cut down costs or just raise the raisedbeds off the floor?? I want to grow my own, but keep getting bogged down with what i should do to get going!!
                        so any help would be appreciated. i was thinking railway sleepers but are expensive.. so any timber advice any advice at all would be appreciated..
                        sorry for jumping in on your thread dig!!

Comment

Hi Mandy, I used packs of gravel board from B&Q (about £14 for a pack of five boards, each approx 6ft long, 6in wide). To be honest, though, I wouldn't recommend it for your waist-high beds. Mine use two boards to get a height of 12in, but I think you will need something sturdier. If there are any salvage yards in your area you could see about getting some scaffolding planks? Or try freecycle (someone may be able to help with the soil/compost/manure etc for filling them too!)

Comment

I used reclaimed timbers 7" x 2" with varying lengths cut to suit. I then clad the outsides with decking.
                            I also took the time to line the inside with plastic membrane,which will prolong the life of the timbers.
                            garden+o7+033.jpg (image)
                            Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

Originally posted by Flobalob View Post
                              I used reclaimed timbers 7" x 2" with varying lengths cut to suit. I then clad the outsides with decking.
                              I also took the time to line the inside with plastic membrane,which will prolong the life of the timbers.
                              garden+o7+033.jpg (image)
                              Flippin gorgeous!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X