Has anyone had success with...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    I'm sure a sandwich bag will be fine, I don't think seeds are 'baggist'. Anything to keep the moisture in. Cling film works for me when I am trying lots with different germination times.
    LOL at 'baggist'

thanks Zazen!!! on a separate issue, any chance of moving the following thread for me to a more appropriate place? i had a mind-blip
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eds_30580.html
    Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
    Independent Minds

Comment

I moved it a while back...

Comment

geez and i didn't even realise
        Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
          Tomatillo, Cape Gooseberry, Salad Burnet or Welsh Onion from seed?

I've had disastrous results so far, as in no germination whatsoever.
          Have now tried keeping moist, allowing to dry, half and half... all at indoor conservatory temperatures, all in seed compost

i think i've run out of Tomatillo seeds now, but have more of the others.

Any advice would be welcomed with open arms!
          I sowed a few Cape Gooseberries in a 6-cell module. Three came up in the same cell, within a couple of days - on windowsill. Then ages went by, I moved them to heated propagator and a couple more came through in a different cell a few days later. So I have five. I want the heated prop for something else now but 5 will do me - even if a poor result from the number sown. I wondered from the fact that the three that came up were all in the same module whether they are fussy about how deeply they are sown as I guess each cell will have a slightly different planting depth from each other cell and I can't think of anything else that might make one cell successful and the others not!

I sowed some welsh onion seeds maybe three weeks ago or so and left them in the mini-GH outdoors and they have not come up yet. nor have the TPS I sowed at the same time but I haven't given up on either yet!
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            I'd send you some but I put them all in the seed swap parcel...
            Sorry for being a bit thick, as you know I am a newbie but what is ' the seed swap parcel'?
            Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by 21again View Post
              Sorry for being a bit thick, as you know I am a newbie but what is ' the seed swap parcel'?
              Hi 21again - Zazen is referring to the Seed Swap section of the Vine where you can swap seeds with other Grapes.
              She has already swapped her tomatillos with someone else.
              Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by 21again View Post
                There are a few parcels going round at the moment, where you recieve the parcel, take out some seeds and replace with others that you don't want.

It then gets send onto the next person on the list.

It was started by Two_Sheds, last summer.

If you go to the seed swap section, you can read about it and if you want to pop your name down, PM the person organising it and she will put your name on the list.

Comment

Update - my physalis have started coming up all over the place! I had 5 when I took it out of the heated propagator a day or so ago and now I have 13! Plus true leaves developing on the most advance of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
                    Update - my physalis have started coming up all over the place! I had 5 when I took it out of the heated propagator a day or so ago and now I have 13! Plus true leaves developing on the most advance of them.
                    you little blighter Demeter!
                    can we have pics???
                    Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

you little blighter Demeter!
                      can we have pics???
                      I'll have a go later if I can. Trouble is the parents are visiting and the physalis are in "their" bathroom lol. (they have sweetcorn, beans and tomatoes in their bedroom - hehee!!)

Comment

a bit late in adding to this thread I think, but I've sown 8 x cape gooseberries and only 2 have appeared....and they are minute!!! Anyway I shall perseve! Demeter, you clearly have the edge on this!
                        "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Right I hope I have remembered how to do this correctly!

In the first pic you can see my tray which now has 16 seedlings up and (as of this morning when I last checked them!!!) a few more showing their necks. Please note that where there seedlings coming up right at the edge of a cell, I am going to blame my little "helper" for the shaky sowing!

The second pic shows a close-up of the ones that are starting to get their true leaves. They are getting one true leaf each at the moment and they look a bit like the infamous tricotywotnots... but they aren't, they definitely only had 2 to start with!

(And, as you can probably see, they are in very bitty, unsieved peat free compost. So even though they are tiny seeds which are apparently difficult to germinate, peat free has done the job. Yay!)

Last edited by Demeter; 11-04-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

wow what great pics Demeter, and well done!!!!!
                            i am going to have to try again and see if i can find any more seeds hidden anywhere

that has spurred me back into action!!!!

keep us posted on your success!!
                            Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

I have grown cape gooseberry successfully in the past. I am trying again this year. They are slow to start and late to finish, so I start them in buckets or large pots in the greenhouse, take them out once the frosts are over, then back into the greenhouse or the house in the autumn. They need short stakes. The fruit doesn't weigh that much (unlike e.g. a tomato) but the stem may topple over if left unsupported. I haven't had a big harvest of fruit in the past, this year I intend to up the feed.

Best of luck

Rob

Comment

Hi 21again - Zazen is referring to the Seed Swap section of the Vine where you can swap seeds with other Grapes.
                                She has already swapped her tomatillos with someone else.
                                Right, I know now.

Ta.

Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X