sowed my carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
    This year i followed a tip from a grape last year - made a "V" shaped little trench by inserting a spade and wiggling it a little bit along the row, filled the V with compost, sowed on top and covered with a little bit more compost. Hopefully the carrots won't fork as badly this year!
    First lot are up this week after a long wait.
    that sounds like a good idea, i've got heavy soil so can only attempt the short stubby types, but this sounds like an alternative. also read somewhere that you can dib a hole, fill that with compost and sow into that, but that seems a bit fiddly.
    your method sounds good too t-s, will try both methods soon.

Comment

Mine are in a pot and doing well, about an inch tall. I've never grown them before and I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out... I still have no idea when they will be ready. I have asked but no one has answered me

Comment

Originally posted by Marthaclematis View Post
        I still have no idea when they will be ready. I have asked but no one has answered me
        How long a piece of string?
        Some are quick, some take months. Depends on the variety and the conditions really.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine are in a pot and doing well, about an inch tall. I've never grown them before and I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out... I still have no idea when they will be ready. I have asked but no one has answered me
          I don't think there is a set time, but the back of the seed packet may give you an idea. Last year I just waited until I could see the top of the carrots peeking through the soil and pulled one out to see the size. Hope your carrots grow well!
          http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Also depends on how big you want them.

Comment

Now don't laugh 'cos you know that I am a newbie to all of this growing stuff.

I know you are supposed to sow the seeds directly in the ground but as I have been germinating everything on wet kitchen roll in tubs under the sink I thought I would give it a go with the carrot seeds.

So, I put about 20 odd seeds on there and they germinated in a few days, no probs.

I decided to grow them in a couple of those Morrisons flower buckets that you can buy from them.

Anyway, I wanted to have an idea where they were in the bucket so I knew they wouldn't be weeds, so I have sown them at certain positions of a clock ie 12, 3, 6, 9, half way in between these times and one it the middle. They have all emerged and I know exactly where they are.

So hopefully I will have 18 carrots growing, can you tell I'm not keen on carrots, 18 isn't going to go far but the dog likes them.

I read that carrot fly can only fly up to a certain height, not sure if that is true or not so I have the pots sat on an old table so they aren't near the ground.

By the way, they were freebies, think they are called Sugarsnax.
              Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by 21again View Post
                Now don't laugh 'cos you know that I am a newbie to all of this growing stuff.

I know you are supposed to sow the seeds directly in the ground but as I have been germinating everything on wet kitchen roll in tubs under the sink I thought I would give it a go with the carrot seeds.

So, I put about 20 odd seeds on there and they germinated in a few days, no probs.

I decided to grow them in a couple of those Morrisons flower buckets that you can buy from them.

Anyway, I wanted to have an idea where they were in the bucket so I knew they wouldn't be weeds, so I have sown them at certain positions of a clock ie 12, 3, 6, 9, half way in between these times and one it the middle. They have all emerged and I know exactly where they are.

So hopefully I will have 18 carrots growing, can you tell I'm not keen on carrots, 18 isn't going to go far but the dog likes them.

I read that carrot fly can only fly up to a certain height, not sure if that is true or not so I have the pots sat on an old table so they aren't near the ground.

By the way, they were freebies, think they are called Sugarsnax.
                You are right about carrot fly, although they might get blown a bit higher if the wind is a bit gusty or something so its no guarantee. Having said that I believe carrot fly is more of a problem on established plots or in allotments - if no carrots have been grown in or near your garden in recent years you will probably be safe anyway (at least until they sniff you out!!)

Do try your Sugarsnax when they are ready. Even people who "don't like carrots" might be surprised by home grown, especially the sweeter varieties!
                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

My soil caps too. How will my carrot seeds pop through it? What can I do?

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo and Dibs View Post
                    My soil caps too. How will my carrot seeds pop through it? What can I do?
                    See the 1st post
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
                      This year i followed a tip from a grape last year - made a "V" shaped little trench by inserting a spade and wiggling it a little bit along the row, filled the V with compost, sowed on top and covered with a little bit more compost. Hopefully the carrots won't fork as badly this year!
                      First lot are up this week after a long wait.
                      I've got really, really, stony soil – I get great carrots growing them in the “V”
                      Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X