Preparing the ground for the 1st time

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by womble View Post
    I hope you are right about the roots being dead you will soon find out, I bet they're not.

The big red roots sound a bit like tree roots, have you got one close?
    There are a couple of trees approx 6 feet away & they're extremely tough roots, I think you're right. They won't sabbotage my veg will they?

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
      Re the bindweed
      It's more than likely not dead - sorry, if its anything like mine it seems like loads of spaghetti like roots going nowhere and then you find the odd bit going green at one end and getting ready to take over the world. Just keep digging and if you're not planning on using all the ground this year, go down the cardboard and compost route - lots of threads on here about it. By next year the worms will have started your work for you and cleared all but the perennial weeds but with the ground softer to work and top growth dead, they're a lot easier to get rid of.
      Best wishes
      and welcome to the vine
      Sue
      Thanks Sue! I'm very keen to get going this year, wish I'd thought about it sooner as I would have done what you suggested otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
        I'd get as many out as you possibly can,but don't lose sleep over it.Chances are you won't be able to get rid of every last one anyway.This time of year the thicker roots will also have lots of new spring growth(far featherier/thinner roots),which you're going to really struggle with to rid totally.On the plus side,when they do regrow the ground will have been worked,making it easier to prise them out.
        Are there any raspberry bushes on your plot?Their roots are red,ranging from really thick,to quite thin & they can spread loads.If it is,they'll probably have the occassional white/green shoot on them now.If it is & you want to save any,then cut a few inches either side of the shoots & pot up.(probably best in a pot,so you can check that's what they are!)
        We actually had an arguement about it this evening - he says I'll be weeding for 2 yrs! I won't let him eat my veg when it's ready
        There aren't any raspberries, but there may have been in the past I guess

Comment

Originally posted by samk1970 View Post
          There are a couple of trees approx 6 feet away & they're extremely tough roots, I think you're right. They won't sabbotage my veg will they?
          Probably, although you won't want to hear that, so ignore it

In all seriousness, it's not a good idea to have a veg (or fruit) patch next to trees.
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
            Probably, although you won't want to hear that, so ignore it

In all seriousness, it's not a good idea to have a veg (or fruit) patch next to trees.
            Oh no.....I think I'll put the flowers there then. I haven't finished weeding that area yet, do you think I should continue weeding as thoroughly for flowers? I guess so

Comment

The two problems with the nearby trees are likely to be with the foliage on the trees creating shade above and the roots sucking up water below. There are veg (and fruit) plants that enjoy a bit of shade and there are some that can compete effectively with tree roots for water, but there aren't many that can do both!

But you may still be able to grow some veg there. How big are the trees and how big is your plot? The tree roots may not affect the whole area!
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Hi, and so glad to hear that there are other meticulous gardeners out there. Go for it! I am of the advanced years where the bubble-bath sounds good to me and ours is still just the turned sods that the farmer left..... so probably only spuds this year...
                Good Luck (but don't ignore fiance...) Take a moment to sow something quick and impressive like rocket or radishes, and you will feel <great> in very few weeks with first harvest!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X