sweetcorn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Eyren,

Clay [and slight shade] were no barrier to good sweetcorn on my patch last year.

I knew no better then and just stuck them in the only space I had left when they went out. I got around 1-2 cobs per plant - a fair crop.

Clay is usually fertile and being in the garden's wet patch helped with corns other requirements - loads of food and water. I think my success was helped by it being a bit sheltered from the wind - it just romped away when it went in.

I thought it was very pretty when growing and the cobs were soo tasty - I had to fight the OH for my share as he would have eaten the lot.

Maybe it was beginners luck but it was very encouraging.

I've done some research on varieties to make the most of the crop for this year and I have chosen Lark & Swift which seem to be reliable. One variety is going in the front garden this year much to the OH's surprise - I bet he eats them anyway even if he does not approve!

Go for it, my space is restricted but I cannot be without such a tasty crop now I have eaten them fresh from the garden.

Ann

Comment

If you grow different varieties you can have an early crop and a late crop.
      I tend to chuck mine all in at once whenever I get a space in the ground ... I'm always so busy that my plans go to pot
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

That's a good idea to grow two different varieties for a late and early crop but, if your growing F1 variety's you will be unable to save any seeds for next year, this is because the genetic qualities bred into the F1 plants such as sweetness or early maturation will be lost or diluted in the hybridisation, of course every now and then you can end up with a superior plant but as a rule this is rare.
        The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
        VISIT MY WEBSITE TO HELP KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN AFTER A DAY ON THE PLOT
        http://www.thesoappatisserie.co.uk

Comment

Sweetcorn seedlings

Help needed!
          I read up on planting sweetcorn on this forum and planted mine in toilet rolls, wrapped them with cling and left them in the boiler cupboard that was warm 5 days back. I was then out of home and when I got back last night they had all germinated and have long white/pale yellow twisted shoots. I took off the cling right away and now have them on a bright window sill this morning. My question is that have I messed up the plants by now moving them on to a sunny/bright window sill as soon as they germinated? Will my shoots recover and go green and straight now they have some light? or am I better off planting fresh seeds and starting all over again. Any advise would be helpful.

thanks in advance.
          cheers Reks

Comment

Seems like I may have jumped the gun...I planted mine out last weekend, they were about 4" high with 3/4 leaves. So far they are doing well.

I've got another batch just germinating in the greenhouse incase the first ones don't make it.
            My 2014 No Dig Allotment
            My 2013 No Dig Allotment
            My 2012 No Dig Allotment
            My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Originally posted by Reks View Post
              Help needed!
              I read up on planting sweetcorn on this forum and planted mine in toilet rolls, wrapped them with cling and left them in the boiler cupboard that was warm 5 days back. I was then out of home and when I got back last night they had all germinated and have long white/pale yellow twisted shoots. I took off the cling right away and now have them on a bright window sill this morning. My question is that have I messed up the plants by now moving them on to a sunny/bright window sill as soon as they germinated? Will my shoots recover and go green and straight now they have some light? or am I better off planting fresh seeds and starting all over again. Any advise would be helpful.

thanks in advance.
              Give them a day or two in the brightest light you can manage. If they are going to recover you will find out soon as they will go green and they will stop growing upwards but start thickening out. If there is no improvement by the weekend, definitely sow some more! Even if they do start to pick up, they may be a bit weakly so will want cosseting for a while, might be worth sowing some as backup regardless, if you have more seed.
              Good luck!
              Last edited by Demeter; 23-04-2009, 01:09 PM.
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Thanks you Demeter, I will keep an eye on them and if they do well start moving them to a unheated greenhouse. Will sow backup today.
                cheers Reks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X