Fertilizer?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fertilizer?

Just watching Geoff Hamiltons Ornamental Veg/Kitchen Garden on TV - he recommends bone/fish meal fertilizer when planting veg. What do other grapes recommend? I've used organic chicken pellets this year - which is best do you think? DDL
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Bugger what channel was that on DDL?

Even I wouldn't argue with the late Great GH !! Bonemeal will give good roots & the Fish meal is higher in Nitrogen but you may struggel to find it now. The Chuck Poo will be OK but maybe a bit High in Nirogen for some veg. A balanced one would be better for all round use (organic Growmore 5:5:5) but I wouldn't loose sleep over it.
    Last edited by nick the grief; 14-10-2006, 10:44 PM.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Thanks Nick - actually the programme was on last night - I'd never seen it before - "Ornamental Kitchen Garden" I think it was on the UKTV S Garden channel on Sky, No 258. Actually Nick - it's on again NOW! DDL
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Its on UK TV Gardens at the moment! Very good it is too!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Oh Blast & botheration.

I've been looking for that one on Video/DVD for sometime to go with my other GH videos as I think the guy was an absolute legend.

It was him that really got me interested a few years ago.
          ntg

Comment

I've always used Fish, blood and bone. Cheap and easy with good results. Never tried chicken poo so can't compare. Although I'd use it if I had chickens of course but wouldn't buy it because FBB has always been fine and is cheaper.
            I'm becoming a big seaweed fan though as I think it really helped my Aubergines and Peppers this year but maybe that was down to the hot hot Summer!

Comment

Have you tried ebay Nick? DDL
              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

I checked Amazon yesterday & they've never done it on video I can buy the book for £37 new
                ntg

Comment

Bugger! The same happened to me I wanted (well, still do) a copy of "Dianas Story" by Deric Longden - it was only released in the USA, under a different title (which I've forgotten!) and the DVDs/videos are the funny ones that only work on a certain type of player. I've only ever seen one for sale (on ebay)......I need to get one of those DVD players that play the ones from all over the world!
                  Was it the "Ornamental Kitchen" inparticular you were looking for Nick? I could keep my eyes open for you. DDL
                  PS just to make you feel better - I had a twin set of the Victorian Kitchen and Garden and sold the Garden video!!! that was before I got into growing my own! Boy do I wish I hadn't done that!
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Yes it was that one.

I've got the tree Victorian series - kitchen garden, flower garen & kitchen. They also did a Wartime Kitchen garden series that was never released
                    ntg

Comment

Aaaawwwwhhh! didn't know about the wartime one! that would be super! Just got a book which has been re-released a few times by margarite patten and cooking/rationing during the second WW. Only just started reading it though! - fascinating! DDL
                      Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Ornamental Kitchen Gardens

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                        I checked Amazon yesterday & they've never done it on video I can buy the book for £37 new
                        I have been in touch with BBC Shop online, there is no DVD/Video available and no plans to release it.

UKTV do not sell DVDs or videos!
                        You are never too old to learn

Comment

I've Sky+ the whole series of Ornamental Garden, so I can probably get it onto VHS (and actually, with my work's facilities, DVD possibly). If you want a copy PM me and I'll see what I can do.

It's very good, quite possibly the most useful TV Gardening programme I've ever seen.

As to the bone meal thing, what ever Geoff says, goes, in my book. Although didn't Monty Don get very annoyed with it on one of his articles? It wasn't the effectiveness of the stuff, more about the ethics. The meat being from unknown sources and the like.
                          Shameless plug for my blog

Comment

Hello mildew and welcome to the Vine! that is a very kind offer! No doubt Nick will be in touch! DDL PS you could always send him a PM message if he doesnt see this.
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by Mildew View Post
                              I've Sky+ the whole series of Ornamental Garden, so I can probably get it onto VHS (and actually, with my work's facilities, DVD possibly). If you want a copy PM me and I'll see what I can do.
                              COnsider yourself PM'd Mildew, thanks for that. DVD would be good - I'll mail you a disk.

Originally posted by Mildew View Post
                              As to the bone meal thing, what ever Geoff says, goes, in my book. Although didn't Monty Don get very annoyed with it on one of his articles? It wasn't the effectiveness of the stuff, more about the ethics. The meat being from unknown sources and the like.
                              What does a failed jewler know when compared to the best gardener since Percy Thrower & Geoffory Smith
                              ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X