No announcement yet.

What's your veggie obsession?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno that I'd go so far as to call it an obsession, but I decided a year or so ago to make tomatoes my speciality, because I love them and eat loads of them; they're difficult enough to present a challenge; and there are loads of different varieties, in all sorts of colours and shapes, beyond the standard round red ones which are all you can usually get in the shops.
    Also climbing French beans - I'm saving my own seed of 'Cherokee trail of tears', and next year will be trying another variety - can't for the life of me remember its name. [Edit] It's 'Cosse Violette', a purple-podded climber from those nice chaps at Real Seeds. Having grown a couple of dwarf varieties this year, and found the yields disappointing, I'm sticking to climbers in future: a bit more trouble, but the yield per unit area of ground is much greater.
    Last edited by StephenH; 10-11-2010, 09:01 AM.
    Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwirach View Post
      cor.....i'm just a baby....

5 types of spud in
      2-3 types of toms
      3-4 types of beans
      Phew, thanks for posting that KR, now I feel confident getting my collection out amongst all these big-shots!

6 types of basil
      5 types of potatoes
      4 types of tomatoes
      4 types of chilli
      3 types of cabbage
      3 types of courgette
      2 types of runner beans
      2 types of carrot
      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
      Snadger - Director of Poetry
      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Hmmm....having already declared my squash obsession, I've just had a count up and realised that I planted 12 types of spuds this year (some were just 5 plants to try them out):

Red Duke of York
        Lady Christl
        Homeguard
        Ulster Classic
        Osprey
        Stroma
        Anya
        Dark Red Norland
        Ambo
        Markies
        King Edward
        Pink Fir Apple

Guess that is another issue that needs addressing next year as I fear I am also being taken over with a new interest in beans......I need a bigger plot (especially now I have the courgette pickle recipe so have no excuse not to slip the odd courgette plant back in too!!)....

Comment

I'm getting obsessed with heirloom tomatoes and beans. I've been pouring over various seed catalogues over the past few weeks and begun ordering online.

I'm fascinated with the various colours and tastes.

Comment

I think it's tatties for me ... I tried a good few things this year for the first time, including tatties, but they were thing things I took the most pride in and had the most enjoyment out of growing. As for eating, tatties and tomatoes were the best, but there was just something about tatties I loved grubbing about with ... Absolutely can't wait to get next year's in!
            Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
            www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

1) Various colours of lettuce.
              2) Yellow courgettes
              3) Chilles
              4) Various colours of cherry tomato, top of the list is Sun Gold.

Currently in hibernation mode planing and thinking about gardening, usually from the pub.
              Jimmy
              Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Last year it was chillies - 14 different varieties - but after having great success with squash and courgettes this year I'm going for them in a big way in 2011.
                I have 6 varieties of seed from last year and have added a further 3 from Premier Seeds Direct and am still saving seed from Lidl's onion squash and any others we take a fancy to!
                Of course I'm still going to be growing at least 6 varieties of chilli and 4 of sweet peppers!

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                  lol Dementer... you want some white srpouting broccoli then? PM me if you do

What is it called? That sounds amazing and would be lush in a curry.

As for my vegetable obsession, I don't really have one as I don't have the room. I'd say its more a fruit obsession, in my very small space I have 4 different types of strawbery and 6 blueberry plants. That doesnt sound like anything you guys are doing though!

One question though - where do you get the room for '24 types of bean, or tomato? I grew 4 tomato plants this summer and they took up most of my space! Do you have allotments, and how big are they

Comment

Beans, they grow so well and look so beautiful. Oh and watermelons as I havent been able to successfully grow any, but I will hehe
                    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Thank you all for inspiring me.

I am very much a novice and so far obsessions seem to be courgettes and chard. Yum! I am quite sure I would go crazy for squashes and (more) potatoes if I had a lottie and feel quite inspired to try tomatoes and chillis now

@Bren In Pots Thanks for posting Di's recipe. Have stored away for next year

Comment

I'm planning on sowing around 30 varieties of Chilli in the New Year.
                        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

I just try and grow some of everything, i think 54 different varieties of veg for next year planned, although im wondering how many of them will be successful.....

Comment

Um, beans and tomatoes. I have about a dozen beans and at least twenty tomatoes now.

As an aside, my non-vegetable obsession is sunflowers. I must have about a dozen different varieties of those too.

Comment

Potatoes,tomatoes,chillies.Not too impressive
                              Forgot to addarsley,parsley,parsley(root & leaf one,curly and flat,name it)
                              Last edited by coreopsis; 03-12-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X