No announcement yet.

brassica netting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo of my brassica 'cage'. Netting over the top once the plants are in. (Weeds removed in Photoshop!!!!)
    Attached Files
    Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

After last year's disaster I 'invested' in Envronmesh to be anchored with planks of wood and with wire things (not hoops) inside.
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I use old plastic drain rods for the hoops wih debris netting over the top knotted at the ends with scaffold poles with the net rolled round at the sides to keep it taut
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

It depends on what you're trying to stop. Basic netting will stop birds but will still let in butterflies so although you won't get pecking damage, you'll still get catepillars. Am trying to stop both but am sure it won't be 100%.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi All,
            I saw some net curtains in a charity shop but the new was not very fine so I am not sure if that will be good enough. Any one has any pics of not so fine netting that was sucessfully used to keep cabbage fly/ butterflies and caterpillar out?
            Alternatively I saw this on the ikea website IKEA | Curtains & blinds | Curtains | LILL | Pair of curtains
            Can you tell me if this will be good enough for covering my cabbage and cauliflower.

thnx
            cheers Reks

Comment

Brassica netting pictures, and a tip!

We got hold of some debris netting last year from ebay, and made good use of it to cover our brassicas, but the main problem we had was of the hoops of waste pipe bending when the netting was under tension....

well, this year I hit on an idea, drilled holes in the hoops and braced them with bamboo to keep them upright! Result, nice tidy brassica netting that doesnt droop or touch the brassicas, stopping the cabbage whites from laying through the netting! The first 2 piccies show how it looks when braced, the other piccy shows the problem that unbraced hoops can have, hope its of some help!

Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Geoff Hamilton cloche (2x2 with blue water pipe hoops held on with dowel - some canes for cross supports too) with enviromesh for me. Little butterflies slip through alot of other stuff. That debris netting looks ok too

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X