PRESTON NORTH END
    xbox gamertag billybobs
    add me to your friends list if you got what it takes

Comment

Originally posted by dinky_doo View Post
      hi hopefully will be growing some squash next year
      will they grow up a wigwam ?
      just thinking of saving a little space
      Most will but you'll need a really strong sturdy contraption to support the weight then you need to make slings for the fruit if they're biggish.
      I was recently poodling around Rudyard Kiplings gardens at Batemans and they had big Butternuts growing on a frame but it was metal so very strong. The fruit were just hanging free though.

Comment

Originally posted by dinky_doo View Post
        hi hopefully will be growing some squash next year
        will they grow up a wigwam ?
        just thinking of saving a little space
        Dinky Doo - I grew only a few plants this year, which took up an amazing amount of space, and they spread onto the paths around my raised beds. I suppose they would normally have smothered neighbouring plants without the paths. It was a bit of an obstacle course to negotiate the plot after that! I'm sure you could trim the foliage if necessary.

One plus point for growing them up wigwams might be improved air circulation, since mine got terrible powdery mildew. Some of the sweet dumpling sorts produce smaller fruits, which might be OK up a wigwam

Give squashes a go if you've got the space - they are really fab.

Comment

Originally posted by Peta View Post
          Dinky Doo - I grew only a few plants this year, which took up an amazing amount of space, and they spread onto the paths around my raised beds. I suppose they would normally have smothered neighbouring plants without the paths. It was a bit of an obstacle course to negotiate the plot after that! I'm sure you could trim the foliage if necessary.

One plus point for growing them up wigwams might be improved air circulation, since mine got terrible powdery mildew. Some of the sweet dumpling sorts produce smaller fruits, which might be OK up a wigwam

Give squashes a go if you've got the space - they are really fab.
          I'm with Peta here. Certainly powdery mildew is a b****r and I'm going to experiment with more directed growth next year rather than the haphazard trellis, obelisks slung in hopefully etc. Not to mention sometimes just letting them climb up trees and the neighbours erected chicken wire along the boundary.
          I don't think one ever really accepts just how huge and far ranging they are even when you grow them regularly. I certainly thought mine would remain stunted this year after the heatwave stalled them so badly. Some have a 16 foot span outwards and upwards!

Comment

The lady at Ryton pumpkin day last sunday said her fav was Crown prince. Now i'm looking for cheap seed of it to give it a try.
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

i grew my squash as part of indian trilogy (squash, climibing french beans and sweet corn) and had a fab crop. I am finding you don't need to freeze all of them as they last so well on a relatively sheltered spot and indeed go through pretty colour changes. I am absolutely addicted and inspired by comments above shall invest in more types for next year. Only point is you have to be willing to eat them yourself as so many people are "what do i do with that" even when given it as a loving offer.

ADAM
              Digging Doc

Comment

Originally posted by blossom View Post
                I love squashes too. We are hoping to get sponsored to move to Australia soon, so it is good to know there are lots of squashes there.
                Originally posted by pickledtink View Post
                You will be in Squash heaven in that case. I first came across them there along with sweet potatoes many years ago which set me off on growing them in UK as I couldn't stop craving the taste.

Wow Blossom - that would be great!! I loved Oz and yes.... PT is definitely right... you'll be in squash heaven there. They have alot of Japanese pumpkins there. I ended up not eating a single butternut squash in my whole time there (just over 2 years) because I knew I could eat butternut at home, so I was making the most of the pumpkin variety!!

I found the small ones are the best. The great thing is that they sell them in 'chunks' in the supermarket and the veg shops so you can buy as little or as much as you want.

You will literally be in squash heaven!!

Comment

Hi all

Having read all this thought I would save some of the seeds from the squash I grew this year (just eaten the monster one!) and see what comes up next year ... so ... what's the best way to preserve the seeds? Wash off & dry?

Cheers

Comment

Yep, wash off, dry and leave on some kitchen roll to fully dry, they will probably stick to it, but that doesnt matter, you just tear off the bit with them on when its time to plant them!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thanks Suzanne. Can't wait to see what the fruit looks like next year!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X