when to harvest first earlies?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
    I don't think furtling yourself is very nice! Furtle the spuds!
    *Don't even THINK about replying Snadge*
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oh,do charlottes flower?

Comment

Originally posted by JILLY JACKSON View Post
        Oh,do charlottes flower?
        Yes they have light violet flowers.
        Potato videos here.

Comment

Thanks tattieman,not grown them before ,clueless!@D

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            *Don't even THINK about replying Snadge*
            I had to bit my tongue too! Especially as I'd read this quote too and by that time the naughty mind had already popped up!!!!

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
            I had a jolly good furtling, but I only found tiny, tiny spuds.
            sorry.....off to sit in corner now!

Comment

how deep should the potatoes be if there are any? I began to have a bit of a 'furtle' in the ground directly at the base of the plants and found nothing near the surface. I then got scared and stopped incase I did any damage!

Comment

Originally posted by glut View Post
                how deep should the potatoes be if there are any? I began to have a bit of a 'furtle' in the ground directly at the base of the plants and found nothing near the surface. I then got scared and stopped incase I did any damage!
                Me too.
                My Swifts have been growing like mad over the past few weeks and have grown out of their bag, they've been a bit battered by the wind so I thought I'd better have a look, but couldn't find anything. Mine have been in since early March.
                I've also got Vale's Emerald and Epicure which are fast catching up to the Swift.
                Does anyone know if each of these varieties flower?

Comment

You will find the biggest spuds towards the bottom of the tub - hence my suggestion of carefully removing the whole lot from the pot onto cardboard or plastic (take care not to damage the stems)
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                    You will find the biggest spuds towards the bottom of the tub - hence my suggestion of carefully removing the whole lot from the pot onto cardboard or plastic (take care not to damage the stems)
                    I broke one of the stems, that's why I stopped having a 'furtle' :s
                    I might try again mid-week.

Comment

Hi,

Me and a mate dug up 1 plant on Saturday and laughed our head off when we saw the size of the potatoes - the biggest was around the size of a chick pea. So much for early earlies! I'll be leaving them at least 2 weeks before having another look if not 3.

Margaret

Comment

My father in law reckons 14 weeks. I know some say 10 weeks for first earlies but I find I'd rather have a decent crop. What I secretly love is to leave a root or two of Charlotte till the last and make chips with the big ones. They make the most fabulous chips!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I started my first earlies off in large flower buckets inside in Feb, then bunged them outside when they developed a crude form of sentience and tried to stage a coup to take over the conservatory. Yesterday I harvested the first of them and got enough to feed a family of four from one bucket.

Very nice they were too! Sadly, only two more buckets to go, but it was my first time with these and I was fairly impressed - most were actually the size of new potatoes you get from the shop!

Woof
                          Having one child makes you a parent, having two makes you a referee...

Comment

It isn't too late to put some more in buckets
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X