No announcement yet.

Sprouts, especially red ones

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we stake them now or is it one of those things to do next year having learnt from this?
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
      Can we stake them now or is it one of those things to do next year having learnt from this?
      I'm beginning to think the secret to good sprouts is spacing,(lots of) compacted soil and staking! I have recently added stakes to mine but will stake from the beginning next year as my lottie is on an exposed , windy hillside!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Fiona View Post
        Hi Smuff
        I'm growing the GYO free Brussels too, and so far mine are small and some have opened, or 'blown'
        According to Joy Larkcom (veg guru) this is caused by not staking them with canes or posts, so I tried that it seemed to help
        I'm also growing green brussels too (I love 'em) and these are doing better, (bigger and haven't blown) so maybe the red ones are late brussels or the weather hasn't been right for them

Good luck

Fiona
        Hi Fiona,
        I checked my sprouts today and even with the rough weather they are starting to come good; apart from being ravaged by the "all-weather" slugs the sprouts are (finally) swelling nicely.
        From reading Snadger's post, part of my problem would appear to be overcrowding - I don't have a large plot and tend to cram as much in a possible. Next year I'll be a bit more generous with spacing, cut down on plant numbers and stake the plants early on.

Comment

They were selling loads of red (and green) ones at a farmer's market near me yesterday - they looked really good and had been grown locally so it must be possible. Could have been a different variety though I suppose.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Well, my red sprouts were starting to look half decent and I was thinking I could eat them with my Xmas roast but today my chickens decided they were ready now and ate them for me pre-stuffed chicken for Xmas instead

Comment

Sorry to hear the chucks got your xmas sprouts CC, but had to laugh at pre-stuffed chickens! lol!
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Chickie View Post
                Well, my red sprouts were starting to look half decent and I was thinking I could eat them with my Xmas roast but today my chickens decided they were ready now and ate them for me pre-stuffed chicken for Xmas instead
                Are you really going to kill those chickens, I'm a real softie and I get too fond of animals that spend time living with me. Cats who poo where they shouldn't, pigeons who eat my cabbages etc I have no sympathy with, but I still find it hard to forgive my Dad for murdering Henrietta (my favourite chook) more years ago than I care to remember - OK she was old and she didn't lay eggs any more, but I loved her

Comment

Its just the young boys from this summers hatch which are going to the 'deep freeze in the sky'. I'm acctually veggie, grew up on a small holding where we ate our own meat and when we moved I decided I didn't like the idea of mass produced meat and gave it up. Its been 18 years now since I've eaten meat, but thinking I might give it a try when I see OH eating our own home produce. I'm a softy too and will find it a bit hard to begin with, but when you know that they are meat from the start and you see what a good life they've had you can kinda justify it.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Yes, I'm growing the red sprouts too and have exactly the same problems. Last year I grew a variety called Roodnerf which produced 3 1/2 foot plants with plenty of good sized sprouts. The only problem I had was with blackfly, but strangely, they only affected one plant out of 10.

Big Fiona

Comment

Wouldn't have expected black fly in the depths of winter.
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Oh yes Earthbabe! Sprouts get full of black fly. Horrible!!
                        [

Comment

I'm haveing the same problem. My red sprouts have either died, blown over or are peanut sized. Last year I grew a variety called Roodnerf which produced lovely sprouts. It was odd though, out of 10 plants only one became infested with blackfly. Any ideas anyone?

Big Fiona

Comment

Well I cooked the red sprouts that I'd been guarding for Christmas Day. Steamed them in the top of the pan with potatoes at the bottom. Result: bright blue potatoes! Never again.
                            Happy New Year all.
                            Sue x

Comment

Oh blimey! Did it all taste okay though Sue?
                              [

Comment

Red sprouts? Blue potatoes? groovy! DDL
                                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X