Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato plants in a hanging basket.

Hi all,

I am not sure if this has been talked about before or even if it would work.

Anyway I was just thinking to myself about how I am going to organise my fruit and veg for next year and using all available space. Then I thought I could put some plants (any thing really doesn't have to be toms) in a hanging basket.

Would this work? Suggestion and comments please.

Many thanks

Fezinio
    Stout hearts, strength and honour.

Hello Fezinio, yes it would work. Other grapes have grown tumbling toms that way. Type tomatoes in hanhing baskets in the search box to find these previous posts. Good luck with the project.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi F - yes I've heard of that and seen photos in gardening books, I have a couple of spare baskets and was thinking of giving it a go next year - we'll have to compare notes. DDL
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi Fezinio,
        Most of the seed catalogues say if the plant is suitable for pots/hanging baskets etc.
        I've got tomato variety Tumbler to try in them next year. Gardeners delight would probably work well in one too.

Kirsty
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Me too. I'll be growingTomatoes in Baskets next year. I grew Strawberries in hanging baskets this year which worked fine. The main thingwas to keep them fed and watered. I think you could easily grow baby pepper plants too and definitily herbs and Rocket.

Comment

How did you know I was going to ask if you could grow strawberries PT? spooky! DDL
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Thanks all sounds really good,

I will try some tomato's i think. Cant remember what seeds i got though. I think they are alacante. I can try anyway. I will never know unless i try

Good tip about the strawbs. Mrs Fez loves here fruit i will definately do that.

Is there anything else that will grow in baskets? Aubergines, cucumbers etc maybe or would these be to heavy and break the plants?

Fezinio

Comment

I would go for the smaller varieties of toms, cucumbers etc. I grew alicante this year - far too big to grow in a basket, although I'm not sure what types to try - will have a read and let you know! DDL
                Bernie aka DDL

Comment

I'm sure some of the grapes grew Gartenperle (tumbling toms) in baskets this year.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Always grow tumbling toms - there's quite a few different varieties including some yellow ones. They tend to be small cherry type fruit and always produce earlier for me that the cordons or bush types, even those in a greenhouse therefore extend the season. Have grown strawberries and herbs also. You'd have to be careful with cucumbers / aubergines as some varieties can get very big, never tried it but would guess that some of the small forming cucumbers would work OK although might need a bit of trimming back. Have grown them in tubs but these tend to be larger and therefore more compost so you'd need to feed very regularly in the basket. Would be interested to know how you get on as I'm always short of space and the idea of another level of planting sounds appealing.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

not too big..

Go for a variety that is more suited to hanging basket's, it makes all the difference.

I would also if possible get a basket that has a reservoir in the bottom, they are usually the green plastic type. Toms are very thirsty and mine were on 2 Liters a day during the summer.
                      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I'll second the advice about the reservoir baskets, they don't look so attractive as some of the other types but the plastic gets at least partially covered by the plants and a healthy well watered plant in a plastic basket will still look far better than a dead one in a posh basket!

I've also used some dripper things (can't remember the name) which supply a constant drip of water into the soil via a spike that you bury into the soil and attach a plastic pop bottle to the top bit - again not that attractive but VERY useful when you go away for a few days.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks all very interesting stuff indeed.

I will definatley need some kind of self watering system. I am not that bothered about good looking pots

Have you any recommendations?

This year all my toms split as i work away all week and i think i over watered them at the weekends.

But next year Mrs F will be home during the week and if I can get selfwatering systems then it will be a lot better for me this time around

Fezinio

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                            How did you know I was going to ask if you could grow strawberries PT? spooky! DDL
                            Spooky? Moi? Probably all these Pumpkins I'm eating. Now that I'd like to see. Ginormous Squash vines in a hanging basket!
                            Oh Oh. Now I'm envisaging massive baskets with pumpkins spilling out of them.
                            Already wondering how strong the rope would have to be and if the little Oak tree could take the weight.
                            This is all your fault DDL

Comment

LOL! DDL
                              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X