No announcement yet.

Tomato plants in a hanging basket.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be growing toms in baskets next year too providing Mr E puts them up - me no good with power drill. I've also got some of those bag thingies that i'll be using for something.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
      me no good with power drill.
      Ditto EB... but I'm probably leathal to boot!
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I grew a fantastic tumbling tom last year... it's the F1 Tumbler - really very good.... I TOTALLY recommend it. I ordered seeds from Dobies last year, but this year didn't get organised, and thought I might be able to buy them locally and couldn't. Ended up with cordon variety this year which were nowhere near as good.

My advice.... F1 Tumbler - and get looking for your seeds early, and make sure you get some!

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
          I grew a fantastic tumbling tom last year... it's the F1 Tumbler - really very good.... I TOTALLY recommend it. I ordered seeds from Dobies last year, but this year didn't get organised, and thought I might be able to buy them locally and couldn't. Ended up with cordon variety this year which were nowhere near as good.

My advice.... F1 Tumbler - and get looking for your seeds early, and make sure you get some!
          Slug, I have F1 tumbler. Probably won't use them all. i've got 10 seeds but likely only to plant 3 or 4. Do you want a few? If you pm your address I can post them to you. (Thompson and morgan do them)

Kirsty
          Last edited by kirsty b; 12-11-2006, 05:51 PM.
          Kirsty b xx

Comment

I've grown Tumbler tomatoes in baskets for a few years now - they're great (as long as you water twice a day). I tried Gartenperle as well last year, but didn't find them as tasty.
            http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

My best tomatoes this year were the (free seeds) Gartenperle in baskets. I put a saucer in the bottom of the basket (as advised by Grapes last year) and didn't have any problems with drying out.

Tried strawberries in baskets for two years running now, but as I have said elsehwere on the vine, just ended up with runners hanging down to the ground - looked like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon! and no strawberries!
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I've got all sorts for next year including balconi yellow and green grape and tumbler of course.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Make sure you put the baskets somewhere out of the wind!! I've grown strawbs in (plastic) grecian urns this year and they did really well. Toms in hanging baskets are a no no here as the *** wind gets them. Dries the compost out and burns the leaves.

Comment

Over the past few years I've tried both tumbling toms and gartenperle, but I agree with you Happy Mouffe, the gartenperle don't have such good flavour. I'll be sticking with tumbling tom. I always put a could of basil plants in there too. Supposedly a good companion plant and the slugs don't get to the basil.

This year I had some climbing French bean plants left so I bunged them in hanging baskets too. You don't get the yield you would in the ground, but a pretty decent amount. They climbed up the chains and also hang down so looked pretty good.

At Hampton Court Flower show last year they had a edible category in the hanging basket competition and people had tried pretty much anything you can imagine - toms, beans, chard, lettuce, herbs etc. There's a picture of one of the entries here

http://www.rhs.org.uk/hamptoncourt/2...oxes/index.asp

Lots of watering, I imagine, but they did look really good

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X