Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to all this...!

Hi there,

I'm very new to growing your own, but I'm really keen and enthusiastic. I hope you can help me with a few queries?

I haven't got a greenhouse or a vegetable plot - instead I am hoping to sow the seeds into small pots, allow the seedlings to appear whilst on my window sil and then transfer into pots on my patio. With this in mind, will I be able to grow baby corn this way? What other vegetables grow easily this way? I don't want my first attempts to end in disaster!

Many thanks, Goal Defence

Welcome to the grapevine! Yes, you can sow into pots. Many of us with allotments do this - no gappy rows! However, you may not be aware that baby corn grows on massive plants - easily as big as the large cord, so I'd be surprised if you'd find it wasy to grow in a pot. Corn is also very thirsty. Difficult to stop it drying out in a pot in hot weather.

All salad and green cabbage plants will take to patio growing as will toms and courgettes if the pots are good and big. You can grow some soft fruit in pots too. There's a thread here on container gardening. Have a look in there to see what others grow. Happy sowing!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi, and welcome to the vine. Lots here are growing in pots, see this informative thread.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...read_5662.html
      BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
      Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Thank you so much - I feel so much happier now you have reassured me!

I've already got some beetroot and carrots in pots so I'm hoping to find lots of inspiration to add to my patio

I think I'll give the baby corn a miss now, Flummery. Thanks for your advice!

GD x

Comment

I've grown sweetcorn in pots. Three plants to a 12 inch pot. Grows about 6 foot high. Quite ornamental and deffo a talking point with friends! Too late to sow it I would say, but you can probably still pick up plants reasonably cheaply at the local garden centre!

Welcome to the vine btw.
          Last edited by Snadger; 14-06-2009, 09:17 PM.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for that, Snadger, and thank you for the welcome. I'm going to the garden centre tomorrow so will have a look for some plants. If they're relatively cheap I might give them a go - I've already got a 14 inch pot in the garden so can use that to plant in. What's the worst that can happen?!

This site is truely fantastic - I've learnt so much already this evening!

Comment

Try and grow dwarfing or mini varieties of things and those that come to maturity quite quickly. I now have 44 containers of veg in addition to the plot and they probably take up no more than about 10 square yards. Use anything you can get your hands on and don't worry about them looking pretty...the name of the game is fresh food and when you're nibbling your first lettuce you can say up yours Tesco

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X