No announcement yet.

Asparagus peas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is MM all furry like the inside of a broad bean pod - cos that's what they feel like to me, they are to be removed within the next couple days.

Although, I have noticed a goodly amount of lady birds and bees on them, so I guess they have their place, just not in my precious veg area
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Well this thread saved me asking all my questions about asparagus peas. Guess I won't be trying them.

All hail the search function!
      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
      Snadger - Director of Poetry
      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I was going through my seed box yesterday and came across the darling things, if anyone wans to try them PM me and I'll get 'em in the post. There is only half a packet left, so first asked gets them
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

I concur - pretty plants, taste minging.

Comment

Originally posted by stupot View Post
            I concur - pretty plants, taste minging.
            This emphasises my issue with seed descriptions. When browsing packets trying to decide which variety to grow, it'd be helpful if they said on the back "pretty plants, taste minging"! But, of course, they all say "outstanding garden variety", "prolific harvest", "superb taste".
            How's a guy supposed to decide without the endless knowledge of the grapes?
            Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
            Snadger - Director of Poetry
            RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
            Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
            Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
            piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
              Well this thread saved me asking all my questions about asparagus peas. Guess I won't be trying them.

All hail the search function!
              I read about them in a seed catalogue (as you do) recently, and thought - yum, as I love Asparagus. So, the very next thing I did was to come in here and search. Just like you Ollie, and found the very same thread. I'm glad I didn't buy any now!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Answered a few questions for me as well! *Wonders whether the prettiness outways the mingingness in taste*
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Another catalogue description to be wary of - "Good for freezing" mean "All come ready at once!" Beware of the glut.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Asparagus peas.

They're nothing like peas, and nothing like asparagus

Comment

Oh! Glad I saw this thread. Was looking forward to growing these this year but not sure uf I can spare the valuable space for something that tastes minging! Might just plant up hanging baskets with them- they do look pretty.
                      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

I was surprised to see a small piece on these in the March GYO - stating how lovely they are and how they taste of a mix of asparagus and peas. Erm, not in my mouth they don't

BUT - they are lovely flowers and I will be growing in baskets for the bees, they won't (sadly) be part of my veg crop.

I remember the wonder (late) John Cushnie reviewing these on GQT, he said pretty much exactly what we have all said above.
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                          BUT - they are lovely flowers and I will be growing in baskets for the bees, they won't (sadly) be part of my veg crop.
                          Ditto.....
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

OK you lot....I have to disagree- I think they're lovely rolled in butter, but MUST be picked at 1" long!
                            Infact I've bought 2 packets of seeds and shall be growing them for the pods, flowers and the wildlife...so...neerrrr
                            ( mind you- I do have a lot of spare ground!)
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              ..( mind you- I do have a lot of spare ground!)
                              well now that would help! As to taste (or rather texture) licking carpets comes to mind
                              aka
                              Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                                well now that would help! As to taste (or rather texture) licking carpets comes to mind
                                Clearly one of us has an appalling lack of taste buds!!
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X