Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And tastiest tomato variety goes to........

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apero F1.

Sodding expensive from Dobbies, but I got a free packet from GW magazine last year to trial, was so sweet, and Alys agreed with me.

I got 1 seed to germinate from old seed for this year.
    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hooky View Post
      +1

I am trying some San Marzano for this year - can't wait
      I've got San Marzano too!....along with another seven varieties methinks!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have tumblers in the hanging basket, cherrys and pixies! The pixies are in really small pots and not very big at all I am guessing by the name they stay really small they are flowering but I am wondering whether they need to be re-potted?
        http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

The mighty and unsurpassed Sungold.

Comment

For eating Golden Cherry.
            For cooking Roma VF
            For sauces Summer Cider (despite it being a b*****y awful plant)
            Family motto "semper in excretum"

Comment

What is the sweetest tom type do you think? I hear Tomazing is sweet.
              Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Sungold and Gardners' Delight from the cherry varieties and I had a great tomatoes last year from Cristal F1.
                I've got great hopes for the micro toms 100's & thousands and also from black cherry this year, both first time growing.
                "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Very subjective question and depends a lot on growing conditions. Two people could grow the same variety and because of planting and growing aspects end up with two different flavoured tomatoes. Also depends on individual pallets as to whether you like them sweet or acidic. The ones I like best are the ones that I grow and that changes each year. This year it is some old favourites Alicante, Gardeners Delight and can't remember the other.

Ian

Comment

I was hoping to hear someone include harbinger when I posted the thread because I have 5 outside and have read they are an old variety with excellent flavour but the seeds are quite difficlt to get hold of. Really great comments though and lots to think about when planning for next year's variety of toms.

Comment

I grew Harbinger the last two years. The first year they were awful, I had some seed left so grew them again last year and they were lovely - didn't do anything different, they were just better. (The seeds were free with a magazine!)

Last year the tastiest (for me), most prolific and longest fruiting were definitely Black Cherry - but who knows this year?
                      Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                      So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

I love Black Cherry. And Roma for sauce. Growing 6 different varieties this year, so I'll reseve judgment.
                        Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

I'm trying Brandywine - I heard it came top in several taste tests. Has anyone tried them?
                          It's my first year with tomatoes - also growing Floridity, Shirley and Silvery Fir Tree. They are all fruiting up well at present - keeping fingers crossed!

Comment

I'm hoping Sungella is going to be ideal. Apparently itb has the sweetness of Sungold but slightly larger size. None have ripened yet so I can't say how good bad they are but for the price of the seeds the taste should at least be worth waiting for.
                            http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Does anyone have an answer to my Pixie qusetion as I dont really know what to do? I done some research on net but to no avail it does say stake as they get taller but mine are tiny! I will post some pics later.
                              http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Paul Robeson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X