Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And tastiest tomato variety goes to........

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i watched a thingy with Raymond Blanc, who must have quite a good palate by now, he tasted a load and recommended;
    Japanese Black Trifele - absolute top of the pile, he says they taste like chocolate!
    Yellow Brandywine - second
    Marmande - third
    Sweet Million - top cherry
    am growing them all along with a few others - will let you know!
    'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? ' Douglas Adams

http://weirdimals.wordpress.com/

Comment

Any that we manage to get off our plants this year (first year trying). Can't wait!!!

Comment

I'm with the Black Cherry people - best by a mile in my book, especially if grown indoors.

Comment

Super Marmande, the beefier and meatier the better
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I've always love sungold but balk at the price for F1s. I'm trying to get a reasonable 'un-hybridised' selecton and this year's my F3 generation. Nice and sharp but so far without the balancing sweetness, but then, I've only tried one plant!

Himslef love Black Cherry which is open pollinated to you can save your seed from year to year. Win-win!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have some Andine Cornue this year - any opinions??
              Tx

Comment

anything i have grown myself..........
                i put all my effort into it and any crop is the best tasting ever.
                this will be a battle from the heart
                cymru am byth

Comment

What's depressing is how many of the varieties you've mentioned I've not tried yet. My OH mentioned that if I contrinue to grow 30 varieites a year and have about another 40 years of growing I'll still only have tried 1200 types - and there's so many more!

I loved Black Krim last year as a beefsteak, Silvery Fir Tree for hanging baskets and Sungold as a cherry. I agree with everyone who says Roma is tops for cooking.

I didn't like Old Ivory Egg, Gartenperle or Latah - insipid the lot of 'em (for my taste anyway)
                  Last edited by T-lady; 23-06-2009, 12:12 PM.
                  Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Originally posted by T-lady View Post
                    I didn't like Old Ivory Egg, Gartenperle or Latah - insipid the lot of 'em (for my taste anyway)
                    Not tried the other two but my son-in-law grew gartenperle last year and I totally agree. Waste of compost!

Comment

Well, as a newbie I have gone a bit mad and have the following established tomato plants growing.

Gardener's Delight

Sungold

Tom Thumb

Maskotka

Sweet Pea Currant

Plum Roma

Garden Pearl

Blondkopfchen

Suncherry Premium

Marmande

and seedlings which consist of

Tomberry

Totem

Aldi baby plum (red)

Asda baby plum (orange)

Plus about 12 sideshoots that I have take off the Suncherry Premium and Sungold plants.

The are going to take some watering!
                      Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

I'm growing 2 blight resistant varieties this year (Ferline and Fantasio) which I don't expect to taste particularly incredible, but I also thought I'd grow a San Marzano as well which is outdoors (so might not get any toms at all!). I'll let you know the results in a couple of months

Edit: Last year I grew Gardener's Delight, Alicante, and Moneymaker. The moneymaker were pretty bland, the GD's were alright, and the alicante were very nice.
                        Last edited by Crundy; 23-06-2009, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I have some:
                          Gardener's Delight
                          Nimbus F1
                          Grushovka
                          Aurora
                          Tigerella
                          Costoluto Fiorentino

I'll see how I'm getting on,I'd love to make some tomato sauce for pasta.I'm looking at some varieties for next year and I'm tempted by San Marzano for sauce and Red Alert as salad one.
                          As for the question-it should be considered in 2 categories-salad tomato and cooking tomato.
                          Last edited by coreopsis; 23-06-2009, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                            Not tried the other two but my son-in-law grew gartenperle last year and I totally agree. Waste of compost!
                            Oh shucks.........I'm growing nine Gartenpearle plants in three hanging baskets this year!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You might like it! I think taste is very subjective. However, I don't!

Comment

Tomatoes for just picking and eating then and there:

Tigerella have a lovely sweet flavour and look nice too.

Sungold is yummy - sweet and tangy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X