Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peas

Am I too late to sow more peas?

I now have space where I have harvested my early potatoes and hate to see empty ground.

i started some off this morning (chitting first, so the mice don't take them)

you want something that will crop quickly, so probably an "early" not a maincrop
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes, I put some to chit at the weekend, a variety called 'Twinkle' (T&M) which is a lovely sweet early.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

How do you chit peas(i did check the spelling) i've only ever direct sown them.

Comment

Originally posted by kevnsue View Post
          How do you chit peas(i did check the spelling) i've only ever direct sown them.
          You put them between wet kitchen roll until they sprout Kev. Can someone tell me if I can only grow dwarf peas at this time of year?
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I direct sowed some a couple of weeks ago and they're now about 6" tall so they should get going quickly now the days are warmer / longer.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by kevnsue View Post
              How do you chit peas ?
              Put them in a glass of water overnight.
              Empty out the water, then rinse the peas/beans every day until they sprout. (just as you do for sprouting seeds)
              Then plant them.
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-07-2009, 06:06 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I sowed some Kelvedon wonder last sunday and they've been poking thro for a couple of days now. Says you can sow till early July, whats to lose?
                Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Looks like I'll be sowing more peas then! Will try sprouting some and sowing some straight into the ground. Be interesting to see if there's much difference.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                    I sowed some Kelvedon wonder last sunday and they've been poking thro for a couple of days now. Says you can sow till early July, whats to lose?
                    Started some more off last night Cupcake, cheers. I find I don't need to chit the peas Duggie, they just pop up!
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hi, quick question - is it ok to grow peas in Morrisons buckets - and if so , how many peas would you put per bucket (short of ground just now)?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                        Hi, quick question - is it ok to grow peas in Morrisons buckets - and if so , how many peas would you put per bucket (short of ground just now)?
                        Maybe arrange a wigwam structure tying it at the top then plant two peas at the base of each bamboo stick (station) i have never grown them in bucket but i mite try and give that ago peas are an easy plant to grow.

Comment

went on to that you tube link for spouting seeds (believe it or not i got it wrong last time i tried) & my god how many pot heds on there?! some of us just wanna sprout "normal" seeds!

Comment

I have just sown Kelvedon Wonder and Douce Provence, I looked them up on the internet and apparently they are ok for a late sowing.Never chitted though I am going to do that with some

from
                            Sarah

Comment

This time of the year it is best to sow quick maturing varieties, which tend to be the early varieties. Feltham first is a good one. Sowed my last row about 10 days ago and they are now an inch high.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X