Harvesting Peas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
    I only had ONE pea grow to fruition, this year. I did keep track of most of them (sown all around the garden) and many germinated. Are you sure you haven't got little visitors nibbling them as they germinate? This is what happened with my parsnips and carrots last year (and peas this year). The only surviving pea is in a high container. I don't think it's coincidence! Next year it's pea hanging baskets for me, I think!!
    Try sowing in loo roll innerds.....and transplanting when they are about 6 inches tall.

Comment

Thanks, Zazen. Looks like loo rolls will be in short supply next year, what with parsnips too!!

Comment

I tried Kelvedon Wonder this year, germinated them in kitchen paper and planted about 500 seeds in three rows 5m long in mid march. I like to sow early peas to lessen the impact of the pea moth. They took ages to break the surface, I thought I'd lost them, but when they did, they went on to give a heavy crop. Unfortunately, the delay in sprouting meant that my best laid plans for successional sowing went down the pan because as the weather warmed, the other six 5m rows of Premium and Banff peas were ready at the same time! I love peas but spending two hours a night for a fortnight shelling peas isn't much fun! Still, I bought a new freezer which is now full to the brim with peas and red/white/blackcurrants...
        Last edited by Speed Gardener; 06-08-2009, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
          i germinated two "rows" of kelvedon wonder in lengths of guttering using MPC in march and slid them out into scrapes as soon as they were 2 ins high.
          they grew nearly 5 ft high and cropped very heavily,the later sowings (june)germinated well but the growth/crop was dissapointing
          the later sowings of mange tout follow the same pattern
          Definetly guttering is the way to go! Just soak them very well when you slide them out otherwise they will all end up on top of one another!!

Iv'e tried loo rolls, to time consuming, in soil, to hit and miss. Guttering is THE only way to go. I sowed Onward no problem. Even a late crop 3 weeks ago are now 300mm up the netting!!

Loo rolls for runners and broad beans though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X