No announcement yet.

Tomatoes turning

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been picking sungold and tumbling tom red for a couple of weeks now.
    1 tom on Cossack now turning orange/yellow.
    Roma and Shirley still all green.
    All in GH except tumbling Tom

Comment

I've been picking Sungold since the end of July, and they're cropping really well. 3 plants in the greenhouse. Also got what were supposed to be Gardener's Delight, but I'm not sure they are!! The fruit are a bit on the large side, and I remember GD as definitely a cherry tomato. Whatever they are they taste good.

Comment

I have been picking sungold for a couple for weeks now.. there is no stopping them

Had my first mixed tomato salad at the weekend, sungold, cream sausage, black Russian and a mixed tomato (free seeds!) all very tasty

I have tonnes of cream sausage but they are taking their time ripening, have noticed a few turning after the nice weekend. Black Russian are taking a little work as they are splitting, am now removing them from the plant as I see them start to turn and ripening them on the windowsill... seems to be working.

I also have green zebra and marmande which are taking their time... not sure how a ripe green zebra loooks like but expecting it to be yellow and green. I also have some pear tomatoes which I planted late so giving them a little more time.

After my first salad I am really looking forward to the glut

Comment

Originally posted by murphy99 View Post
          ... not sure how a ripe green zebra loooks like but expecting it to be yellow and green.
          Yup I also have green zebra...no idea when they look ready so assuming once the bulk of the other red toms are ready they will be too...may be a taste-test thing!

I have a Beam's yellow pear turning and one Cherokee Purple or it could be an Ananas Noire...lost the label

Otherwise I'm cultivating a beautiful crop of green tomatoes
          RtB x

Comment

I have not had a single tomato yet. We lost all of our outdoor allotment toms to blight and the ones on the patio have lots of green but not one on the turn. Its very frustrating - I just want a blummin' tomato!
            We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
            Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

We've had loads of tumbler red & yellow. a few Bloody Butcher and a few sweet million. Quite a few other varieties are beginning to ripen now including a purple variety ( choc cherry I think). The only tomato I'm having problems with is Silver Firtree, it keeps dropping the fruit before ripe and I have to finish it off indoors. not sure why, can't see a problem with the plant

Comment

I am spending a few days in Cornwall (weather is different here). My toms were ripening very well at home and a nice truss which is half red, looking forward to a nice little glut when I return.
                BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Been eating them out the greenhouse for a few weeks now but nothing yet on the outside ones on the plot. Was trying to convince myself yesterday that they were getting lighter but not really sure. Fingers crossed they won't all go to blight.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleB View Post
                    I am spending a few days in Cornwall (weather is different here). My toms were ripening very well at home and a nice truss which is half red, looking forward to a nice little glut when I return.
                    Hope you're enjoing Cornwall, we had a lovely weekend weather wise but not so nice today. Which bit of Cornwall are you in?

Comment

Hi SMS6, I am staying in St Erth with a friend arrived late on Saturday and it has been overcast since, returning to Kent tomorrow.
                      BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                      Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

and yet just along the road in Helston it was a nice sunny weekend. You could have come and had a look at my toms turning :-)

Comment

Quick n00b question.

Can I leave toms until the whole vine/truss has turned, or should I be picking as they are ready?

Comment

We had the first real hot and sunny day here for weeks and it sent about 30 tumbler toms over the top....green to bright juicy red in a single day. The outdoor cordons look like they are threatening to turn at the slightest peek of some more high temperatures but on the negative side we just had an absolute rain downpour and I just recieved by email a Full Smith Period warning for my post code...............fingers crossed!

Comment

Gadgetman - pick them as they're ready.

I'm plagued with blight this year, it's everywhere including in the greenhouse, so I'm not sure how many tomatoes I'll get. A lot of Tigerella are just turning, so I have everything crossed that I'll get to pick them. I'm also wondering when to pick the green zebra! They feel quite firm yet although they are two tone green now - everything crossed they're ready before the blight gets them!
                              Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                              So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

We've been picking greenhouse toms every day since the first week of July. I've skinned and frozen some, chutneyed others and given more away. No signs of blight or mildew yet (touch wood). This year I've never closed any of the vents at night since the end of May which has allowed a good air circulation so I guess that could be why we're disease free. Last year most of the crop was badly affected.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X