Piglet's French Black Toms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piglet's French Black Toms

Just a quick post which I've been meaning to make for a bit. Had some French Black Tomato seeds from Piglet last autumn and have grown a couple of the plants in the greenhouse. Am most impressed. The taste is delicious and they've produced quite a lot of good sized, juicy, sweet fruits. Quite like black toms and have been growing Black Russian for a couple of years but these are definitely better and at about 3" across a better size for me (the Black Russians are huge great things). Anyway, a thanks to Piglet for his generousity - how's anybody else got on with theirs?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

PW gave me some seedlings; of which the ones outdoors got blight but the ones in the greenhouse are still not changing colour yet.
    Last edited by zazen999; 17-09-2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

am soooo enviouse,i had some seeds to,but for some reason they were the ONLY ONES out of 7 odd varieties i sown that did not even show a face,i was megga dissapointed,never mine,am over it now lol,
      Last edited by lottie dolly; 17-09-2009, 11:47 AM.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        PW gave me some seedlings; of which the ones outdoors got blight but the ones in the greenhouse are still not changing colour yet.
        Had the first one a couple of weeks ago but also managed to knock a truss off a few weeks back and have managed to ripen them in the fruit bowl inside. Don't know if they taste as good but if not then they'll be fine for cooking. Didn't try any outdoors as tend to grow bush ones outside more so don't know what they'd have been like there.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

sadly i put all my seeds into storage last dec, including some of these and didnt remember to put the box at the entrance of the storage unit!!. so i'll let you know how i get on next year, when everything comes out of storage!!!.
          they sound yummy tho!.
          Finding Home

Comment

Mine have done well in the greenhouse, the tomatoes taste delicious, and I'm definitely going to grow some more next year. They went in at the end of January and I've been picking for a while. I liked the size, they were bigger than the Tigerellas, another favourite of mine. Thanks Piglet for the chance to try these out.
            Last edited by BarleySugar; 18-09-2009, 04:42 PM.
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine have done well in the greenhouse and are starting to ripen . Could I save seeds from them for next year? If so, how do I do this?
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Yes you can save them (I'm going to save some of mine) - see the bottom of this page for instructions - Vegetable Seeds : Vine Tomato Seed

Comment

mine are just starting to ripen, didnt think they every would, so looking forward to them, thanks PW
                  The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

wow they sound lovely. I am growing black from tula this year and they are delicious. I still think my yellow Galina are teh best.
                    We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                    Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Glad you had good results all. They are one of my favourites due to their productivity and flavour.

Comment

Yes, you were kind enough to send me some seed too, and they have grown really well. Lovely size, and they don't seem to 'squish' the way that some tomatoes do when ripe. I like the fact that they are quite late, so I've still got loads to pick. Growing mine in a polytunnel - didn't want to risk them outside.

Thanks again PW
                        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

What do they look like? I've some seeds but haven't tried them yet.
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

They're a medium sized round tomato which are almost black at the top and go from a very dark green to a dark red on the underside - at least that's what mine are!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X