What can I grow now

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I grow now

Hi guys what is available out there to start growing now.
    It will be in a raised bed in the garden in Hampshire? I can cover the area if needs be?
    Thanks for any advice I am a complete novis who only built the raised bed last week.

Hi and welcome!

If you have a good garden centre nearby they may stock onion and shallot sets, leeks, winter lettuce and brassicas (eg kale)
    You can still plant seeds of winter lettuce, corn salad, spinach and maybe carrots

Comment

Hi Vicky thanks for the info, will these items need cover? I have made a cold frame with a perspect lid over 1 section of the raised bed, or are they fine just to go straight into the bed? Our local garden centre does sell onion and garlic sets so will pop over and get some tomorrow.

Comment

I don't cover mine but it might help the spinach and carrots - it certainly won't do any harm!

Comment

Cheers Vicky anyone else have any input?

Comment

None of the above will need frost protection, so no need for the cold frame. Only protection needed is against beasties digging them up - try netting cover.

Comment

Could I just put the keal seeds straight into my raised bed or is it best to propigate them?

Comment

Originally posted by privateb View Post
                Could I just put the keal seeds straight into my raised bed or is it best to propigate them?
                Sow direct. Kale is a hardy winter veg, and it doesn't need a heated propagator to get going.

You won't get large kale from planting this late in the year: but you'll get something.
                About 4" apart for cut-and-come-again leaves (black kale is good like this)
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-09-2009, 03:07 PM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X