Watercress

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercress

Has anyone grown this in the past? I was brought up on watercress and eat it whenever I can but don't see it much here. Thought it would be a good one to try. Not sure whether I should grow it in the polytunnel, in a pot, or outside.

Anyone got any advice. Thanks very much
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Watercress, water cress, summer cress, broadleaf cress, cressida, curly cress
    (Rorippa nasturtium-aquaticum or Nasturtium officinale -- Family Cruciferae [Brassicaceae])

Watercress is related to the garden flower nasturtium, but is from a different genus. Pliny records the Latin derivation of its original generic name as Nasus tortus meaning "writhing nose", referring to its spicy taste and pungent odour. Watercress also shares a kinship with the mustard side of the cruciferous plants.

This highly nutritious aquatic herb is a native of Europe, North Africa, and Asia, and has been cultivated as a salad plant since Roman times, but now grown throughout the world in temperate zones. In North America and New Zealand, it is looked on as a weed; but, in China, this "water vegetable" often has to compete for space with rice. This herbaceous aquatic plant sends out shoots which creep along the bottom of ponds and springs. Its hollow stems grow up over the water's surface to bear dark green and highly nutritious leaves -- at least, they were before the days of polluted waters. Hunting wild water cress is becoming a dangerous pastime with the prevalence of polluted waterways. Therefore, it is best to stay with a known cultivated source. Watercress must be thoroughly washed as it is a noted haven for such parasites as the liver fluke, known to infest water frequented by animals. Watercress produces small, whitish-green flowers in flat-topped clusters from mid-spring to early autumn; and, unless harvested frequently to prevent these flowers from forming, the leaves will become less tender. The best watercress is grown in pure, fast-flowing, chalk or limestone streams with slightly alkaline water. This avoids the risk of contamination from pollution.

Comment

Thanks Paul - I thought it grew in streams too, but the seed catalogues don't mention anything about growing it in water ? Hence my question about how to grow it ?
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Jennie, I had water cress growing in a bucket outside, I would change the water every few days (it likes runing water best) but the chickens ate it. According to my books you can grow it in trenches or containers too, just make sure they're plenty damp (shouldn't be a problem in shetland). You can take the stuff from the supermarket and if its a day or two old you'll see it starting to produce roots, bung it in water/wet trench/well watered container and watch it grow. According to the books, start it off in april/may or sow seed march/april and the second sowing in august under cover will give you winter salad greens. I had land cress growing in the veggie patch but the chooks got that too chooks get all my veg. Its peppery but not as nice as watercress.
        CC

Comment

JENNY
          Didnt want you to poison yourself sure I have read of people going down with botulism from contaminated cress and you dont want that.

Comment

If you don't want the hassle of changing water or growing in a pond etc try American Land Cress, similar flavour but will grow in normal soil
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

T&M sell water cress seed and give more instructions on their site.
              Last edited by PAULW; 04-01-2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I'm gradually going off the idea! I think the landcress might be a better idea.

I do remember my Dad being very wary of where he got his watercress from, so thanks for the warning Paul! I've never seen it growing up here.

Just had a thought - the loch in front of our house is a SSSI for a unique weed that grows within the loch. Perhaps I should see if I can cultivate that for eating Of course dont tell anybody I said that
                ~
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thanks for asking the question Jennie. I was quite interested in Water Cress but after this I will stick to land cress. Have a packet of seed for AML so see how that goes.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I grew it in a short fliter bed for our pond. It worked very well but threatened to take over. Very hot and peppery and wonderful in a salad

Comment

I grew some watercress last year. I think it was april / may time before the really hot weather.

Put the seeds in a pot with wet compost. Had to make sure that the compost stayed nice and wet all the time. The seeds germinated and grew fine.

The taste gets stronger as it plants get bigger ..... wife got rid of them just as it was starting to get that real bite to it - too strong for her

Derek.
                      http://madallotment.blogspot.com/ - updated 19/08/2007

Comment

Oooh you're making me want to grow it now! Perhaps I ought to give it ago - we certainly didn't have too many problems with dry soil last year and of course no chance of a water ban up here (Ha ha)
                        ~
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Last summer I bought a bag of water cress in a supermarket. I took the good stalked bits out and put them in a bowl of water for two days. I then got some compost and planted them up. I placed them in a plastic box from a pound shop and filled it to the top of the pots. A few weeks later when the roots were established I filled the box to the top. The water cress now covers the box and It grows very well. ( And I either have a great stomach or the process of bugs is natural and none harmful in my box !!) However, the snails really like it and try their best to reach it!!
                          For the price of one bag, it is well worth a try, as it is so expensive in the shops and not as fresh. Good luck.

Comment

Jennie
                            I grew some in an old lawnmower grasscollector, just kept the soil as wet as possible, rampant growth and it was fine until the really hot weather hit when it bolted. I also grow landcress, very similar in taste and good for winter greens, easily grown and not too bothered by the slugs.
                            Sue

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                              I grew it in a short fliter bed for our pond. It worked very well but threatened to take over. Very hot and peppery and wonderful in a salad

It's IDeal to grow in the FIlterbed as it uses up the excess Nitrogen from the water and because you pick it & eat it it doesn't go back in. Best grown in running water really .

If you want to know hwo to grow it try a trip on a steam train on the Watercress line
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X