No announcement yet.

GYO With Pippa Greenwood

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I wish Pippa well with this, I have to agree that it's not right for me. For those of us trying to grow our own within a budget as well as having health, peace of mind, educational and other reasons, it is far cheaper to pop to local shops to buy seed and then learn by trial and error, library books and internet. There are several reknowned, knowledgable web sites offering free topical weekly email advice. As a novice, I for one would have needed (and still do) more than 1 or 2 Pippa credits for personal queries but obviously her time is constrained. That isn't saying that people without limiting budgets wouldn't find this useful, as I'm sure the plants are top notch and the advice from Pippa would be a very valuable aid!
    Grapevine Facebook Group

My Blog

Comment

Gosh this smacks of 'product placement' to me.

Pippa is a first class horticulturalist - do you think this promotion is the GYO way of paying her for her articles?

Comment

Is this cashing in on newbies inexperience? You'd be mad to pay those prices IMHO. You can get 3 packets of seeds for a quid!

I can see it being popular amongst the pretentious middle class band wagon jumpers, but seems inappropriate to me to have it here, when innocent newbies won't know any better.

Comment

'Pretentious middle class band wagon jumpers'? It's only you poor working class hicks that can grow real vegetables then is it?

There's plenty on here that are no longer 'innocent newbies' (whatever they are!) that have 'difficulty' in growing certain things from seed.
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 02-10-2009, 10:00 AM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
            that have 'difficulty' in growing certain things from seed.
            ...or they get mullered by the dreaded cabbage white (ie: all my brassicas ). As per my previous post, nature can be cruel, and sometimes its helpful to get plug or bare root plants late on in the season when its too late to regrow any for yourself.

However, I think the 'Pippa credits' are a bit gimmicky, and wouldn't induce me to buy one of her kits, solely to benefit from her advice, I'd rather look it up in one of my books, or search on here. There isn't much that we don't grow as a community - someone is bound to know the answer to our questions, aren't they.

BTW (just incase anyone is interested) - my plant kit arrived from vegetable plants direct, and they look great. He admits he has struggled with nature and demand this year, and has had to source some of his bare root stock from a local farmer who grows for market, rather than supplying from his own nursery. But, they were well packed (in damp newspaper), well labelled, and look to be nice healthy plants. I'll be popping them in my now empty beds this afternoon, yay!!
            Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
              ...then change your name to Pippa Greenwood, and you're sound as a pound!!
              As sound as quite a few pounds by the looks of it
              Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Just wondering has anyone signed up for the :-

'free copy of my ebook 'Organic Gardening: The Why and How'.

and if they have is there any catch to it ?
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The idea is good and I like Pippa, and love to read her columns in other mag's, but this look a little expensive to me
                  Jo

Comment

Bren - on seeing your post I signed up. It seems straightforward enough.

Sign up for her newsletter, on completing the form you get an email thanking you for signing up with an attached PDF of the E-Book.
                    You can unsubscribe from the list whenever you like and she promises not to share details with anyone else.

I don't usually sign up for things but I figure I could do with all the info I can muster on organic gardening and the newsletter may be useful to me starting out. It may contain tricks people haven't thought of.

So, it's not a free lunch as you've got to join her mailing list, but you don't have to stay on it anyway.

Hope this Helps.

Comment

If you absolutely object to joining the newsletter, the ebook is available on the myebook.com site.

I can't see an obvious way to download it there, but you get it in PDF when you register for the newsletter.

Comment

Organic I've got an email addy I only use for newsletters so signing up wasn't a problem, I did it after I posted on here. I was just wondering if catch attached to it but like you say there doesn't seem to be.

Comment

Hey Bren, I wonder would you agree with this.

I've just had a read now.
                          It's probably decent for someone who's tempted by organic gardening and needs a summary of the reasons to go organic. The "how" of "the how and the why" is somewhat thin on the ground though. More for someone who has no clue how you'd get by without chemicals, but they'd most certainly have to read further to get even a basic understanding of organic gardening.

My advice to anyone thinking about it is if you already have a bit of a clue about organic gardening it won't really bring much (if anything) new to the table, but if you want something to outline to others why organic is the way to go, it might be a good one.
                          Last edited by organic; 15-10-2009, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Like you say its just a brief into, more of a leaflet than a book.

Comment

Newsletter Signups

I'm the developer of pippagreenwood.com, just to let you know there is no catch to the newsletter signup, you only get subscribed to the newsletter email, and you are provided a link to un-subscribe at anytime.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X