No announcement yet.

growing butternut squash

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew 1 hunter and 1 cobnut in manure pockets on an 8 ft by 4 ft bed with a (reduced for quick sale)arch in it I totalled 12 squash all 2-3 kilos but did have a pollination problem in the early stages with the first 6 or so fruitlets falling off.
    they are fantastic roasted like spuds
    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Mine were sown and planted out roughly the same time as my courgettes and pumpkins - all in pockets of bought compost/manure mixture. Unlike the courgette and pumpkin, the butternuts took ages to start growing - then they sprinted everywhere - but I only got 5 mature fruits from 4 plants which was a shame as they were producing fruitlets like mad until the frost a week or so ago. I'm going to keep trying next year though as I am a total fan!
      Last edited by Jeanied; 01-11-2009, 08:58 AM.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Uchiki Kuri is an early variety that does well even in a poor summer, good eating too!
        Butternut is not the only squash !

Comment

I had one squash plant this year, don't know which variety as it was a gift from a friend. I planted it out a bit late, watered and fed it compulsively, had it planted into manure; it grew vigourously, had lots of pollinators, lots of fruit set and it flowered continuously, but the fruits are the size of golfballs. Taking off flowers did nothing, I think it was simply too cool for the plant to create the biochemical reactions that would feed the fruit.
          Next year, You Cheeky Curry for me. (Or however you spell that one !)
          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X