X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a hipflask full of jameson, he,he,he !!

Comment

Hire a gardener for winter work?
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

1.Wear a hat,something like 30% of heat loss is through your hear
        2.Layers of cloths are better than one thick jumper
        3.Go into a fishing tackle shop and buy a pair of "moon boots" they are simpoly the best boots for keeping you warm
        4.whilst your there get a flotation suit,your look a prat on the plot but you will never get cold
        5.Have a flask of tea,coffee or soup handy

Comment

A hat and a flask of tea are essentials, but one tip I've found good is that if you get warm and take off a coat or fleece, don't just hang it up somewhere - tie it round your waist instead. This keeps your lower back warm and sheltered from any chilly breezes - essential in protecting you from backache!
          Many people have eaten in my kitchen & gone on to lead normal, healthy lives.

Comment

I use spices: ground ginger is used in Traditional Chinese Medicine to 'warm the centre' and cinnamon sends heat to the peripheries - both go really nicely in your morning porridge. See my blog for lots of porridge recipes that will keep you warm Sara Southgate Another lovely option is a flask of fresh ginger and lemon tea, with honey. Yum!

Comment

Another vote for 'Moon Boots'. Mine have a sheepswool insole in each one, for good measure. Ski gloves are worn for work not requiring a lot of dexterity.

I also find that wearing fleecy jods with waterproofs over the top (regardless of whether it's raining or not) do the trick.

A Raynaud's trick is to apply a small amount of Deep Heat to the hands and feet and massage in.

Comment

Hi
                The camping stove in the shed is a winter essential as is allotment vegetable soup for lunch and in the afternoon when it's getting very chilling a shot of damson gin is in order.

I heartily agree with tucking the layers in it really does keep you much warmer. I also found that tracksuit trousers that are fleecy lined are much warmer than jeans especially if worn over full length thermals.

I have been much warmer since I spent a large amount of money on a completely water and windproof jacket, made a huge difference to outdoor working.

Not being able to rustle up a bonfire to order I use my kelly kettle in the winter, so you can sit round the kettle getting warmer while it boils (not good on a rainy day).

Sue

Comment

I bought myself some cheap 'fashion' leggings to put under my jeans which keeps my legs warm and I pinch one of Mr J's jumpers as they're long enough to cover my bum so my lower back doesn't get a chill. Double or triple layers of socks are a good idea too, I don't find standard wellies too good at insulating my feet

Mrs J

Comment

Some good, thick homemade soup.
                    You can't beat leek and potato that you have grown and made yourself !
                    Heat it up in the morning and it stays warm for ages even without a thermos !
                    jayjay
                    Last edited by zazen999; 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM.
                    The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      ; I used to put bubblewrap in my boots. I crackled a bit in the morning but by lunchtime, my feet were still cosy and the noise had stopped
                      I'd forgotten about bubble wrap! I first done this when I had my leg in plaster but still needed to go to my son's rugby matches so wrapped my foot in bubble wrap - one warm and dry foot. I then used it in my boots at matches when I had two good legs again. May be time to raid the stationery cupboard at work

Comment

If you get caught out in the rain or your coat breaks or leaks a bin liner is excellent to keep you dry just cut a hole at the base for your head and then a couple of holes for arms.Trust me you will stay dry

Comment

My trusty 1960's Barbour and my Tilley Hemp hat.
                          http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Walking boots rather than wellies. Socks for walking and mountaineering have been reinvented over the oast few years, they're no longer the harsh things you used to get. Now they're loopstitch, soft, warm and. comfortable. But make sure you get wool/warm ones; some are made of all synthetic fibres for summer. I use 'Smartwool'; they can be machine washed as long as you're sensible and use a gentle or wool cycle

A hat that covers my ears
                            Frequent wozzers - it wozzer cup of tea till I put some whisky in it
                            All the usual stuff about long johns and several layers
                            Wear clothes that are old and scruffy as trying to keep clothes clean while you are working will prevent you working as quickly, and so will not warm up so much
                            Camping stove etc., etc.in the shed
                            Thermals from mountainering shops can be expensive. Go to more ordinary outdoor shops like Millets or Yeomans; sometimes they have offers on. Or try your local budget store or market
                            Have a big stew or caserole already prepared or cooked, or get someone to do it for you. Then when you get home all you have to do is have a bath and eat

Comment

Some years ago,while serving in the army in ulster,we worked up to 20 hours a day so in winter,in the mountains of mourn(cant spell)we used womens tights to keep our legs warm,and feet in plastic bags,to keep them dry.tights worked great,only problem was buying them in the local supermarket,i bet they had a few laughs on us,but on days when temp never rose above -5,even the officers stopped laughing and started buying..just make sure you tell the wife first,before she finds used tights...seems like a nice boy:d

Comment

I keep warm in my pyjamas! Pjs under your jeans/trousers work wonders. Tuck the top into the trousers - I'm always cold if I'm not tucked in no matter what's on the top two layers. Wear brushed cotton ones for extra warmth, and fleece boot liners. Oh, and a thick scarf and a hat that covers your ears. If it's windy I wear earphones, even if I'm not listening to music, to keep the wind out and prevent ear ache!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X