No announcement yet.

Grow Your Own needs your help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try to work in the sun too, follow it around the plot. It's amazing even in the winter it is a lot warmer in the sun than in the shade.
    Thin layers are the best advice for clothes, at least 2 pairs of everything!
    Woolly gloves inside gardening gloves - and don't put them on outside, put them on a radiator (sit on them in the car/put them in an inner layer) and put them on warm, it really helps!
    Sawing works almost as well as digging

Comment

I agree with all the layers etc. I also find that a nice spicy curry for lunch really helps warm you up and keep you feeling warm.

Comment

Wool... if it can prevent sheep from freezing to death when they're stood around in some exposed field in the middle of January, it'll do for me.

Comment

Take small children to the allotment - always keeps me warm. My work is always punctuated with the odd 100 yard dash to pick a stricken child and bicycle out of the brambles/nettles/someone's brassica patch. Or indeed to save them when they're testing the strength of the 3mm layer of ice on the water troughs...

If you use this method however, you do need to be realistic about how much work is going to get done!

Then of course upon returning home with mud caked children - I get the hairdryer treatment form Mrs G!!

J

Comment

This time of year I keep warm digging, turning the compost and having the occasional bonfire.

I usually wear two pairs of socks and a hat too. You lose a lot of heat through your feet and your head. Fingerless gloves too.

Also agree with dressing in layers.
            Last edited by pdblake; 09-11-2009, 11:17 AM.
            Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Tights - a nice thick pair under my jeans or trousers keeps my legs nice and warm, plus acts as an extra layer under my socks too. Not just for girls either :-)

Comment

Apart from many of the above - I've got a pair of those handwarmers which you click a metal tag inside and then they harden and warm up. Great boost if you've had to have bare hands for certain bits of work outside.

Keep one in each pocket and you'll get some residual warmth to boost your outdoor enthusiasm! Great also for any outdoor activity in the winter months such as dog-walking etc.

A pair can normally be picked up for well under a tenner and can be used over and over. Just boil to return to liquid state before reuse.

Comment

Definitely digging and keeping moving, then have a bonfire going for when you need a break.

Plus if your lottie is at home a cuppa every 2 hours goes down well!
                  Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

Just had the offer email from Lidl and these handwarmers will be available in store from Monday 16th November - but do check your local store availability. Just 99p per pair!

Bargain....this link for Brighton store.

Lidl Online

Comment

I'm with Geoff and heartily recommend walking boots to all.

A good pair with a gortex lining will keep you warm and waterproof for hours. The ankle and sole is much stiffer so safer for use when digging as well. They can be really good value in the January sales if you shop around.

I have always used rubber coated gardening gloves to keep warm - mainly by stopping getting wet hands, and cutting out the wind chill.

The other thing I have done this year is to stuff my hedge with stick and twigs for the wildlife. However it really has slowed down the wind and made a difference to me when working at the compost end of my plot.

Comment

I didn't realise we would be quoted in the mag
                        pages 38 and 39 december issue

Comment

Chilli pepper vodka.

Enough said.
                          The Idiot Gardener
                          Five acres of idiocy: an idiot's journey to the heart of smallholding darkness!

Comment

thermal under wear good rain gear and shirts and jumpers made from natural materials so avoid fleeces made from oil based materials.also if you suffer from bad muscle spasm in your back rub in a split fresh chilly into the affected area this will keep that area warm.start with a small piece of chilli in case you could have an adverse affect.it really works for me.you must keep warm but not sweating to much sweat will make your clothes wet and eventually cold
                            regards
                            nemo
                            one years weed is seven years seed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X