Soil Testing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soil Testing

I am wanting a soil test doing on my leek bed but have lost the address of the firm who does them. All I can remember is it is in York. Can anyone supply me with the full or email address.
    Thanks

I got a 2 pronged device from Wilkos for around £3. It tests pH & moisture levels. Hope this is of use.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I am afraid not. I want the soil testing for all the nutrients plus conductivity. The analysis will tell me exactly what to add and in what quantities. Thanks anyway

Comment

The only one I know in York is Soil Survey but they are really dedicated to agricultural tests not horticultural and charge accordingly. Not the sort of prices a GYOer could pay.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Ken, if the soil is simply going to be used to grow veg for personal comsumption surely one of the regular soil testing kits would be more suitable. Seem's like a bit of an expense to under go.

There are some great kits on the market and there's always good old double digging the beds to have a good look at the soil

I have tested my soil using a basic kit and know exactly whats going on in relation to quantities of chemicals etc

But I think it's a gradual process improving your soil anyway, unless you have the money and resources to drastically change it in one go but still thats all going to be affected by the bedrock and the surrounding areas.

I have found leeks extremely straight forward to grow during my first year as a GYO, what ever you decide to do, best of luck.

Kind Regards
          Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

I know of 2 sites on the internet that do soil testing to the degree you wish. Think its the Lancrop Labratories that you are talking about though. They are based in York.

Lancrop Laboratories

and there is this one aswell.

Mrs Crow's Soil Testing Services for Gardeners, Growers, Horse Owners - Soil Testing
            My 3D Pumpkin Carvings
            https://www.facebook.com/totallypumpkins

2014 Giant Pumpkin Diary
            http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...51148&action=L

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardo82 View Post
              Ken, if the soil is simply going to be used to grow veg for personal comsumption surely one of the regular soil testing kits would be more suitable. Seem's like a bit of an expense to under go.

There are some great kits on the market and there's always good old double digging the beds to have a good look at the soil

I have tested my soil using a basic kit and know exactly whats going on in relation to quantities of chemicals etc

But I think it's a gradual process improving your soil anyway, unless you have the money and resources to drastically change it in one go but still thats all going to be affected by the bedrock and the surrounding areas.

I have found leeks extremely straight forward to grow during my first year as a GYO, what ever you decide to do, best of luck.

Kind Regards
              I agree that for normal growing, a commercial testing kit is fine Edwardo. In fact I agree with everything you say. I grow some pretty weird stuff and test my pH with red cabbage water and regularly just dig up some soil and examine it by eye to make sure there are loads of mini-beasts in it and that it doesn't look too wet or dry etc., Does it look right? I don't even bother with commercial testers.

But I suspect that if Ken is growing leeks in the North East that they are for exhibition and competition purposes. That is very serious stuff just to the north of here and he will want perfection.

>

Comment

Did not even think of the Competition side of Veg growing but you are probably right.

I have even heard of sabotage in respect of competition Veg, very amusing!

As long as it tastes good I am a happy chap!

Bring on the spring and the light evenings, I am getting bored and depressed with coming home after work and it being dark!! Want to be out on the lottie!

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardo82 View Post
                  Did not even think of the Competition side of Veg growing but you are probably right.

I have even heard of sabotage in respect of competition Veg, very amusing!

As long as it tastes good I am a happy chap!

Bring on the spring and the light evenings, I am getting bored and depressed with coming home after work and it being dark!! Want to be out on the lottie!
                  Eeee. You southerners. Not proficient in the ancient art of Ecky Thump.

Actually I'm from Cambridge myself but it's a different world north of the Trent.

>

Comment

Well I was born in the south, have Jordie and Irish families to either side though lol.

My great grandma (jordie) had an allotment and I think it skipped a generation with the old man and then I have taken it up.

Allotments in my opinion are a great british wonder and we should all have one and share our produce. I hate that we buy all this imported rubbish.

By the way what the hell is Ecky Thump???!!!! I am too young me thinks to know what that is!

Comment

Ecky thump ! - An exclamation of surprise or shock. Often used to mock the Northern dialects of Lancashire and Yorkshire.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Cheers Bigmally

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          Ecky thump ! - An exclamation of surprise or shock. Often used to mock the Northern dialects of Lancashire and Yorkshire.
                          Aaah, is this why you discovered the dictionary of slang?
                          Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                          Snadger - Director of Poetry
                          RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                          Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                          Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                          piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

You mean here?
                            A dictionary of slang - "E" - Slang and colloquialisms of the UK.

Durr - just found BM's FTAO of Ollie thread - great minds though!
                            Last edited by Jeanied; 27-11-2009, 01:22 PM.
                            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Damn...........Caught in the act.......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X