No announcement yet.

Early Tomato Thread

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a few varieties of tomato on the go and they are all about 3" tall and in 3" pots. I noticed yesterday that the garden pearl has a flower truss starting. This is a first for me as I am usually the last to get flowers and tomatoes. Will have to get on with the new greenhouse and get it into the final resting place.

Ian

Comment

• Sown the following varieties on the 13th of February 2010.
      Tiger Toms
      San Marzano 2
      Balconi Yellow
      Balconi Red
      Ferline
      Sweet Million
      Money Maker
      Sun Gold
      Berry
      Legend
      Roma VF
      Costoluto Fiorentino
      100's & 1000's
      Pomodoro

All are growing well on kitchen window sill, some in the propagator. Run out of space and they are about 2 to 3 inches high. Sown to many but hey they make good gifts!
      http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

• I have a couple of Galina's (yellow cherry) that are around a foot tall and have started flowering but they're not in their final pots yet. Any ideas anyone? Do they mind being re-potted when in flower, or shall I pinch those buds off (NOOOOOOOO). ?

Comment

• No, dont pinch out the buds. They don't mind being re-potted but make sure you pot them on deeply, up to their first set of true leaves.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for that - it's good to know. When I said they were a foot tall I meant they were growing well - not leggy. They've been in since end of Jan I think, in biggish pots but not final ones yet. Wasn't expecting the buds to open for a while but one is threatening to.

Comment

• Early Latah toms now 15cms tall and first flower buds. Sown mid Jan

Cold week so blue heater on at nights.

Comment

• 4 of my tomatoes now have buds on., Can't wait to get them into the greenhouse and into their final positions as they are getting too big to bring in the house at night.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• My first half dozen plants - heritgae ones that need a longer season in my experience - and sown in late January, are now needing potting on from their 5" pots to 7/8". They are growing fantastically well, not too tall but well clothed with leaves and the roots are busting out the bottom (hence the potting on). They are growing steadily so I don't want to stop them. They won't go out permanently into my cold greenhouse till well on in May.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• I started Sungold, Rosada, Buckbee's New 50 day, Eve Purple Ball, Tiny Tim, Red Robin, Vilma, Maskotka, Lldi, Polen, Britain's Breakfast, Silver Fir Tree, Ditmasher and home saved Hundreds and Thousand at the beginning of January.

I’m really excited, Ditmarsher leads the way with flowers open and I'm hoping Dit will do well in a hanging basket. They all look nice sturdy plants and I have given one feed as the leaves were looking slightly pale, seems to have perked them up no end
                    Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

• Well, I ran out of space indoors. All my tomatoes (sown in December) have been put outside. They're each about 2 feet tall, but only one has flowers developing as far as I can see.

They'll probably struggle outside as they've not been hardened off.

Comment

• Sisyphus, its probably to late at this time of night but if you can manage to keep them in for even another week the weather might be a little milder. There is a cold snap forecast in the coming week and if you can get them through this they might survive outdoors.
                        Good luck.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• My overwintered tom is looking a bit sad, it has white speckles all over the leaves - looks like its lost pigment rather than mould or similar, any ideas? I've tried potting it up. I need it to grow a bit so I can take cuttings.

Comment

• I must be doing something wrong

My toms are really good but still very small, I started them beginning of Feb and the Moneymakers are about 4", tumbling toms are 3" both are in 5" pots, and have been for about 10 days, are these too big and should I put them back into 3" pots or just leave them, they are full of foliage and are healthy but so small

xx

Comment

• I wouldn't worry about height if they look healthy, at least they're not leggy and they'll soon catch up when it gets warmer. Where have you got them? It might just be a bit cool so they're growing slowly. As for pot size, you pot them on when their roots start showing out of the bottom. Personally I would leave them now. I know from experience that chillies don't like to be in too big pots too soon but I don't think tomatoes are that bothered.

Comment

• I seem to have burnt my plants or is it disease do you think, there in a south facing window and its been quite sunny these past few weeks, they look a little sorry and some of the leafs are dried and crumbled away although new growth at the top still looks good.

I have put a photo up here
                                http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/...7a86ed67_b.jpg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X